Validate linked issue types

ScottW April 6, 2015

I am looking for a way to ensure only the proper link types are used between issues types/projects in JIRA. For example, a product defect blocks a client bug, not the other way around. I have not been able to find a way to add rules to limit the user's options. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

2 answers

0 votes
Support [Develocenter] February 23, 2016

Hi Scott,

this is reported on Atlassian JIRA:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-9634

It seems that this issue is not going to be delivered soon. You can try Extended Schemes for JIRA to fulfill your needs. It covers not only Schemes for Link Types but for Priorities and Resolutions too.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2015

I'd have said you "product defect blocks client bug" and "client bug blocks product defect" are both perfectly valid cases, but that's just picking at the edges of your description.  In some cases, you can create nonsense and/or unhelpful links between issues.

There is no validation built into JIRA, you'll need to find or write code to do it.  As usual, I'd reach for the script-runner and create a "validator" that would block progression in the workflow if someone adds an inappropriate link.

However, a validator won't really apply to the linking facility in JIRA, or edits (unless you're on a reasonably recent version), so your users will be able to add the links no matter what.  With validators, they won't eb able to progress the issue (can't resolve/close it while it has broken links etc), and you can get quite creative by checking both ends, so they're forced to update links.

I'm not aware of any addon that does link validation like this in full (there was something for version 3 of Jira, but it failed a lot of testing I did on it) 

ScottW April 6, 2015

Thank you Nic.  Yes, outside of our process, it's perfectly valid that a client bug can block a product defect.  However, we've implemented policy to exclude other scenarios.  I am just trying to find a way to enforce that policy in JIRA.

We are running JIRA v6.3.15.  Is there a way that I can create a workflow transition (eg. New to New) with a transition screen showing only the issue links.  Then use a validation to ensure the links adhere to policy?  If so, is there any guidance on how to implement this?  I'm still a scripting novice.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2015

Yes, you should be able to create a screen with (just) the field "Linked issues" on it. The validation can kick in on the "validators" part of the workflow (although you'll want to do that on other workflow actions too)

Suggest an answer