VM Error when starting Jira

Greg Thomas October 31, 2013

Trying to install Jira 6.1.2 on a Solaris 10 system and the only output I have in the catalina.out file is "Unrecognized VM option '+PrintGCDateStamps' Could not create the Java virtual machine." Any assistance would be appreciated!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2013

What version of Java are you using on this machine? "java -version" should tell you

Constantin baia February 25, 2014

I have the same problem on a 64 bit Solaris 10.

Java(TM) Platform, Standard Edition for Business (build 1.5.0_18-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_18-b02, mixed mode)

atlassian-jira-6.1-standalone

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2014

Java 1.5 is deprecated. You should be on 1.7 as a general principle. I don't think Jira 6.0 even runs on Java 1.6...

0 votes
Constantin baia March 25, 2014

can you help me please with another issue?

I don't have root access on the machine to install JDK. Can you tell me a version of Jira that works with JDK 1.6?
Can you please tell me how to install JDK 7 without having root user? I don't have self extracting binaries for JDK 7.

pkgadd: ERROR: You must be "root" for pkgadd to execute properly.

Thank you.

0 votes
Constantin baia March 25, 2014

Someone managed to install atlassian-jira-6.1-standalone on the same machine, but on another partition and another user.

It worked allright. in catalina.log I see: JIRA 6.1 build: 6144 started. You can now access JIRA through your web browser.

Under that other user there is Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode) running

and there are installed jdk1.5.0 and jdk1.6.0_45 installed. At the time of jira installation JAVA_HOME=/global/o/jdk1.6.0_45

My quetion is how did this other installation run ?

If I don't want to alter the JAVA_HOME environment variable which are the files that are using it and I need to modify?

Thank you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2014

Where you specify an environment is mostly up to you, but you can override the global environment in the file setenv.sh

As for how the 6.1 ran with a deprecated Java - it depends on whether the system runs into anything that is incompatible. It may well start ok, and look fine until you run into an incompatibility. The problem you actually had was that one of the recommended settings for running Jira 6.1 is not valid in the older version of Java.

Suggest an answer