Using key value pairs for custom field

Max Schwendeler June 2, 2022

We would like to use key value pairs for custom field entries. Similar to the Assigne field where there is an accountID and a displayName.

For example, we may have device ID but since this has no meaning to our users, we'd like to show a device name.

I've read about the integration of Elements Connect, however, this sounds like an overkill for our problem.

Is there any other workaround? How can this be done in Jira?

2 answers

0 votes
Juliette Lallement _Elements Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 3, 2022

Hi @Max Schwendeler 

I am the Product Manager of Elements Connect.

I am interested in what you try to achieve here.

Would you like to be able to choose whether to display the ID of the field or its display name depending on the context (project, request type, issue type, etc.)? Or would you like to display the ID and the display name of the field?

Kind regards,

Max Schwendeler June 10, 2022

Hey @Juliette Lallement _Elements Apps_ ,

Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for the late response!

We would like to display a display name but interacting with the API by a product ID. This is because the product has an identifier, but the corresponding owner can change during the product's lifetime. And the JIRA user should only be able to see the display name.

I hope this gives a clearer idea of our problem.

Kind regards,

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2022

Hi @Max Schwendeler -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I suspect there are marketplace addons to support this need, and for other ideas...

Please consider what you plan to do with the information (keys and values) and the impact to your users when thinking about approaches.  For example:

• one simple approach is to put both values in a single-select, custom field list.  e.g. Monitor (1234), Keyboard (5678), etc.
  • another is to store only the device names in the custom field list, and then find the device identifiers from elsewhere when needed: another custom field, entity properties, automation rule, or external API call

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events