Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Using automation to copy from a custom select field to a label

Is there any way using native automation to copy from a select list to a custom label list?

We have a select list "Customer Select", which restricts the set of items, but we need to copy whatever is set there to a "Label" field we created years ago called "Customer" which allows us to add multiple customers to a single issue.

Want to avoid using script runner if possible.

2 answers

1 vote

Hi @Benjamin Peikes 

You can use an automation rule like the below to copy the value from "Select List Custom Field" to a label type custom field:

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 11.07.52 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 11.08.00 PM.png

Thanks, I’ll try that. I didnt know you could use “smart” fields in the automation rules outside the json section.

Hey @Benjamin Peikes 

You should definitely look at using smart values for automation in this way. This can be used for a lot of other things too.

Hi @Benjamin Peikes 

I believe you can do that with advanced field edits with JSON.  Please take a look at the examples in this documentation to try to match up with your field types for the edit:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/advanced-field-editing-json/

Best regards,
Bill

Thanks! I looked at this, and it does look like we can add a custom label field, but its not clear how to reference the select field.

For example if the select field is called “Customer Select”, how do you reference it?

I think our json would look something like

{
    "update": {
        "Customer": [
            {
                "add": {{issue.customerSelect.value}}
            }
        ]
    }
}

But I’m not sure how you reference single select value, and not sure how to reference field names with spaces in them.

Please see the example from @Deepanshu Natani as that is much simpler than trying this with the JSON edits.  Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you