Using Jira for asset management - creating barcodes and issues

Tristan January 3, 2018

After reading the blog posts and associated ebook, I'd like to implement what is described. However, there's one thing I can't figure out and I'm hoping someone can help.

Although the series of barcodes (say 10,000) can be printed off in advance, I can't figure out how the creation of issues would work. Upon scanning an unused barcode, the issue wouldn't exist yet, so I get an error "this issue can't be viewed'.

The blog series says "Note: The creation date for the issue in JIRA using our method will be the date of print of the label. Thus, we have an additional custom field called the date of purchase that reflects the acquisition date for the asset." This indicates that the 10,000 issues are created upfront.

How do I create 10,000 empty issues upfront? Alternatively, can anyone suggest another way to do this?

2 answers

0 votes
Tristan February 1, 2018

Hi all,

Nic was really helpful, but I can't easily go down the route he did. Has anyone else done it the way the Atlassian guide describes?

Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2018

Yes, you have to pre-load the project with the tags you intend to use.  You could use CSV imports to pre-populate it.

I went a different route when I did it.  We had a load of existing tags with unique IDs that were not Jira keys, so we continued to use that field.  It was, of course, a field on the Jira issue, and the code I wrote for scanning looked at that field.  If a search returned 1 hit, great, got  an issue.  If it returned more, an issue was raised in a separate project for admins to look into (and the user warned there was more than one).  If it returned 0, it created a new asset issue and started asking questions.

Tristan January 4, 2018

Thanks Nic, appreciate the help.

I don't see how I can create them upfront though - each asset type uses a different issue type, so I would know what type of issue to create upfront.

How did you set it up so that if it returned 0, it created a new asset issue? That sounds like it would suit me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2018

It was the code in the service that picked up incoming scans and their associated data.

Suggest an answer