Using Gmail as a JIRA Mail Server

Nag June 19, 2018

I have installed Jira Software v7.10 in my windows machine. I'm trying to set up 

"SMTP Mail Server" using gmail server. 

I got connection timeout error as below

image.png

Please help me to setup SMTP mail server using gmail in my localhost. Thanks in advance!

3 answers

3 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Johnson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 1, 2019

Hey Eswar, 

This question is a bit old, but as my previous instance of Jira Service Desk crashed when my company "updated" my computer at the exact sametime I was doing an update to JSD, I lost everything...thus I have had to redo everything.  I was redoing my gmail settings and found that what I had previously put in was not working.  Seems as if Google has changed their policy and is now requiring a Google App Password.  It was very easy and worked like a charm.

Firstly, 587 is now the default port.  Below is pic of settings.

smtp_settings_gmail.pngBelow is the content from the Google help page:  

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Create & use App Passwords

Note: If you use 2-Step-Verification and are seeing a "password incorrect" error when trying to access your Google Account, an App Password may solve the problem.

1. Go to your Google Account.
  2. On the left navigation panel, choose Security.
  3. On the "Signing in to Google" panel, choose App Passwords. If you don’t see this option:
    • 2-Step Verification is not set up for your account.
    • 2-Step Verification is set up for security keys only.
    • Your account is through work, school, or other organization.
    • You’ve turned on Advanced Protection for your account.
  4. At the bottom, choose Select app and choose the app you’re using.
  5. Choose Select device and choose the device you’re using.
  6. Choose Generate.
  7. Follow the instructions to enter the App Password. The App Password is the 16-character code in the yellow bar on your device.
  8. Choose Done.

Most of the time, you’ll only have to enter an App Password once per app or device, so don’t worry about memorizing it.

Good Luck and hope this answer helps someone.  

Michael

gauravgupta-gsp
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 12, 2019

Michael, Your solution worked. It was due to change in Google security policy. we need to generate app as suggested by you. 

Alistair Macneil
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 8, 2020

I needed to enable "Less secure app access" in Google account security settings to make Michale settings to work

Michael, Thank you for the right direction

Jan

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2018

For Service Provider, if you don't need custom, select the google predefined one.

Also when you login to that google account, does your account have 2-Step Verification turned on?  If it does, Jira won't be able to login to this account.  You might want to confirm you can login to this gmail account first, and then go to the link https://myaccount.google.com/security?utm_source=OGB&utm_medium=act#signin

If 2-Step verification is turned on, you are probably going to have to disable this in order for Jira to be able to login to this account with just a username and password.

Also, it might help to set the reply-to email address as the same email address.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2018

Hello,

Could you please try unchecking TLS option?

Nag June 19, 2018

Thanks for quick response but no luck, it didn't work out.

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2018

Actually, your configuration seems to be fine.

It should succeed connection unless you are not behind firewall which prevents your connection to Gmail.

Check your connection to gmail over 465 (SMTP) port.

Nag June 20, 2018

Seems like you are right, I tried this when I connected to my office network where email access is restricted. I have to try this at home. Will update you, thanks!

Suggest an answer