Using Confiforms to create JIRA Issue under an existing EPIC

Andre T. April 4, 2019

I am trying to create a new JIRA Issue under an existing EPIC.  But when I try to specify the Issuetype I get an error that the issuetype used is a parent issuetype.  Please help with the Rest API code to add a child issue under an existing EPIC project type.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andre T. April 4, 2019

Figured it out.  You need to add the Epic link Field as key in order to create an issue under a particular EPIC

0 votes
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2019

I believe it is the same as creating a sub-task in Jira - you need to specify the parent issue

See this question and the answer for the details 

Andre T. April 5, 2019

No, JIRA will throw an error that the issuetype is of type Parent.  Tried that already, didn't work.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2019

Can you share your findings then? So, others interested, will be “educated” :)

Andre T. April 8, 2019

Yes, here is what is needed to make the issue creation within an EPIC project work:

{
    "fields": {
       "project":
        {
            "key":  "PRA"
        },
        "customfield_10830": "[entry.JID]",
       "summary": "Issue creation",
       "description": "This enables Issue Creation within EPIC",
       "issuetype": {
          "name": "PRA Requirement"
       },
      "assignee": {"name": "[owner]"},
       "priority": {"name": "Major"}
   },

}
}

Important field to note is customfield_10830 which refers to the "EPIC Link" field.  This is a custom field which will have a different number depending on how your JIRA instance has been set up.

The issue type in my case is a custom issuetype, but can refer to a standard issuetype within JIRA.  You need to specify the issue type which will get created under the EPIC hierarchy.

Like Thomas Arpagaus likes this
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 8, 2019

Thank you for sharing this, so the idea is to get the correct field used for "epic" links and set it to Jira issue key (corresponding to your epic)

Great!

Andre T. April 8, 2019

That is correct Alex.  :)

Mandy Kanwar May 25, 2021

Hey Guys, what do we mention in 

"[entry.JID]"

I have tried the name and number both of the EPIC but still getting the error.  

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2021

The "JID" is the field (name in ConfiForms) where they store Jira issue key (to be used as "EPIC")

Alex

Suggest an answer