Using CSV import, is there a way to import indented bullet points in the description field?

len sheppard October 28, 2020

I am using the non-admin CSV import.  For the description field, I can import bullet points by using asterisks, which get converted to bullet points.  I haven't found a way to indent some of the bullet points, however (like the 3rd row in the list below).  I've tried the following with no success:

• adding blank spaces before the asterisk
  • putting things in front of the asterisk 
    • \\ followed by blank spaces
    • blank spaces inside quotation marks
    • preceding the asterisk with the characters "<tab>"

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2020

Hello @len sheppard

Thank you for reaching out.

The CSV importer respects the syntax provided by the Wiki Style renderer previously used on Jira Cloud. That being said, you must add the asterisks two times (**) to properly indent a bullet point in Jira Text fields through CSV, as displayed in the example below:

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 19.04.35.png

Also, the same logic should work to add more levels (***, ****, etc). Can you please confirm if it properly works for you?

For more details about Jira syntax for CSV import, you can check the documentation below:

Text Formatting Notation Help 

Have a nice weekend!

TC December 1, 2021

When I try to use this formatting, it doesn't step it down to multiple lines. When I do a line or paragraph break, it doesn't create the bullets. Any idea how to fix that? 

csv example.PNGcsv result.PNG

Christoph Schmitz September 22, 2022

Hey @TC ,

did you manage to get this rolling? I need to import bulletpoints in description aswell.

Best regards
Christoph

Like Daniel Camargo likes this
0 votes
len sheppard April 15, 2024

Hi, Petter.  Your original answer worked great!  Now, a few years later, it has stopped working.  When i import in a description field the following:

* bullet 1st level

** bullet 2nd level

I get the following:

* bullet 1st level** bullet 2nd level (with no actual bullet points, just the asterisks)

Do you know what might have changed or I am doing incorrectly?

len sheppard April 17, 2024

We solved the problem actually.  We had accidentally marked the field as "map data".  Undoing that checkmark during the import process resolved the problem.

Suggest an answer