Using Atlassian System User Accounts for API-Triggered Backup Downloads: Is It Safe and Necessary?

Alexandrina Esti
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 2, 2024

Dear Atlassian Community,

At my organization, there is the urge and need to use the Atlassian API to trigger an automated backup downloads for e.g. Jira, Confluence, etc.

The senior admin here insists that an Atlassian system user account is right for this purpose.

However, I am having some doubts.

First of all, as you might have noticed, the System User Accounts are poorly documented to say the least. Probably Atlassian have some reasons for this. I have experience with system accounts of other companies providing software solutions and I know this tends to be so.

Aren't system user accounts a bit of an overkill for something like creating a token for sending GET requests to the Atlassian API?

Are they safe to use via the API in general?

Aren't they like service accounts for only Atlassian staff to use? That's at least my understanding atm.

Kind regards,
Alex

2 answers

0 votes
Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2024

Hi @Alexandrina Esti 

In the cloud as far as I am aware there is no concept of an Atlassian System User compared to Data Center / Server

Having said that if you are writing a script to trigger a backup, the best practice would be - to create a user account specifically for integrations or background tasks call this the "service account".

This account would have limited permissions assigned based on its intended purpose. This approach requires managing an additional user account, so consider the number of user licenses you have available.

The downside of this approach is that there is an API token being exchanged and you would be storing the token in a script somewhere in clear text. Depending on the security risk appetite of your organization that may or may not be acceptable for your organization.

Another alternative would be for you to create a private app which does what you are looking for except that the authentication mechanism would be a JWT.

You can find more information on the JWT here.

0 votes
Daria Kulikova_GitProtect_io_ July 2, 2024

Hello @Alexandrina Esti  and welcome to the Atlassian Community!

While API-triggered backups provide a flexible and automated approach to data protection, they still need a lot of attention from you and your team, as any mistake in setting up can lead to incomplete backup. That's why it's important to carefully plan and implement security measures, ensure proper configuration and maintenance, and monitor the backup processes, which may still be time consuming. 

As an option for backing up your data you can try backup tools . For example, with GitProtect backup and Disaster Recovery software for Jira, Bitbucket, GitLab, GitHub (and Confluence soon) you can get comprehensive protection of the data in one place - automated scheduled backups, full data coverage, multi-storage capacities to meet the 3-2-1 backup rule, compatibility with multiple storages (keep data locally or in the Cloud, or both), ransomware protection, AES encryption with you own encryption key, easy management and monitoring (Slack/email notifications, SLA, Compliance and backup performance reports), Disaster recovery capabilities (point-in-time restore, granular recovery, restore to your local instance, restore to the same or a new account, etc.)

You can learn more about Jira backups on Atlassian Marketplace: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1228719/gitprotect-io-backups-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview  or from our website: https://gitprotect.io/

Or you can schedule a live demo to see how the backup solution works and ask any questions related to backup: https://calendly.com/d/3s9-n9z-pgc/gitprotect-live-demo?month=2024-07

Alexandrina Esti
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 3, 2024

Sadly, this answer does sound more like marketing of a paid tool, than any actual solution.

Furthermore, it does not answer any of the technical questions raised in the post.

Alexandrina Esti
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 3, 2024

@Daria Kulikova_GitProtect_io_, I invite you kindly, to either edit your "answer" or remove it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events