Using 2 different JIRA instances

Nilesh Deshmukh October 10, 2019

Hi ,
I need system using 2 separate jira instances.I have created 2 JIRA instances on using single port (8080) and with different ip addresses.
(like 10.10.10.11:8080 and 10.10.10.12:8080).

One instance Business team will use. Another instance dev/testing team will use. Business team will create the project and give approval to start working
Dev team in another instance will get notified and they will start work. After completion of development,business team which is in another instance should get notified
and Business team will close that project.

Kindly guide how to build this on 2 different instances.

Regards
Nilesh Deshmukh

2 answers

0 votes
Alexander Ling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

Hi @Nilesh Deshmukh

Is there any particular reason why you want two seperate instances?

For me this sounds like you just could use two different projects and have different members in each of them. You can setup unique workflows, issuetypes depending on what the business requirements are and what the dev/testing requirements are. 

It's not that you can't set it up that way, but more of a question why you would want to do it.

Have a nice day! :-)

Business users are limited say 12 to 15 in number. Dev /Testing team is big around 80 to 100 persons. If some plugin license needs to purchase for business only then for separate instance of 12 users it will cost us less. For dev/testing team instance as no of users are more it will cost us high. Thats why 2 separate instances.

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 11, 2019

Hi @Nilesh Deshmukh 

I'm with Exalate, which is an issue synchronization solution

What you are referring to is what we call 'the license optimization' case, as you want to avoid to pay for users who are not going to use certain add-ons

Don't forget that deploying and maintaining multiple instances, and implementing a synchronization, is also costing dinero's.  

Having everything on the same system is reducing complexity. And although I  would like you to purchase our product, consider the benefits of having the whole team working in the same environment, then needing them to switch from one system to the other.

Francis

0 votes
Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

Hello @Nilesh Deshmukh

I would suggest you take a look at Backbone Issue Sync for Jira.

Its an app that lets multiple Jira instances synchronize and communicate to eachother. Unfortunately, its an app and requires its own licensing and comes at a cost, but to my experience this is the easiest solution. 

Hope it helps!

Good luck with your integration-project!

Hi,

Thanks for reply

Backbone issue sync for Jira is built considering issue synchronization between 2 instances. We are looking for synchronization of project status instead of going deeply in to issue status. I mean overall project status like Analysis started, Analysis completed, Devlopment completed , project closure (between 2 instances of dev/test team and business team)

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 11, 2019

Hi Nilesh,

You can have a meta-project in jira (for the business), where each issue in that project represents a business project. 

Once that the business decides that all criteria are met, you change  the status of the corresponding issue to 'under development', which signals to the development team to get going

An example of such opportunity backlog workflow is

opportunity backlog workflow.png

Instead of creating projects, business  users create issues under the meta-project

Nilesh Deshmukh October 14, 2019

Hi Francis,

Thanks for the reply. What will be the issue type for  each issue in meta project.Also I didnt get any option as "Create Meta Project" like " Create Project" in JIRA.

Regards

Nilesh Deshmukh

francis
Marketplace Partner
October 14, 2019

As an issue type - you can use something as 'Development Project' or 'Initiative' or anything relevant for your team.

The term 'Meta Project' is just a term.  The 'Meta Project' is a Jira project where the issues created are 'Initiatives' with the opportunity workflow associated.

The flexibility of Jira allows you to implement the processes you require, but understanding this flexibility requires some learning curve.  You can either try to grasp that learning curve or delegate it to a consultant near you - who went already through this learning curve.

Check one of the partners which you can find on https://www.atlassian.com/partners if you would prefer to delegate.

Suggest an answer