Users showing Inactive

jason.heaney September 8, 2022

Hello,  We started noticing more users accounts are showing "inactive".  The users are still with the company and have not been removed from the systems.  I went in and switched one user back to active. Then shortly after jira switched it back to inactive.  We have Okta and no LDAP/AD for user management.  I am new to Jira and need some help with this please. Checked the forums but doesn't seem to be a fix for this scenario. 

2 answers

0 votes

@ Martin Bayer  all it shows there is I went in and activated the user. Then manually ran the sync and then Jira set the user to inactive. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 1.13.57 PM.png

Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2022

Hello, @jason.heaney 

You said this:

"Then manually ran the sync and then Jira set the user to inactive."

If you don't have LDAP connection and OKTA is not doing user provisioning/management – what is this "sync" that you have run?

jason.heaney October 11, 2022

Hello @Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_ 

It looks like Okta is doing the provisioning via API.  I just created a new API token in Okta and entered it in the existing connector in Jira under the User Sync configuration. But that seems to not have fixed the issue. I found a band aide for the issue. By changed the cleanup behavior setting from disable accounts to Do nothing. So I am not sure whats causing this if the users account in Okta are active

0 votes
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2022

Hi @jason.heaney can you check audit log? It might give you more details about deactivating user

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/auditing-in-jira-938847740.html

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2022

@jason.heaney aren't you exceeding your user tier?

Good question..  How do I check that? Sorry, I am very new to Jira. 

I checked under Applications->versions and licenses and no banner is there saying we are exceeding the user licenses. 

jason.heaney September 9, 2022

@Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__  Is that where I check if we are exceeding our user tier? Or is there another place?

Please advise. Thank you

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2022

HI @jason.heaney , I'm just checking on Jira 7 and it looks like:

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 8.44.57.png

So I can see what is the consumption of the licences...

jason.heaney September 12, 2022

Hello @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ 

That is where I looked and it shows unlimited users (397 used). I don't think this could be the issue then, right?

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2022

Hi @jason.heaney , no than it should not be the issue. I have another idea. Did you try to check the log files? There can be some log message which says what process deactivated the user...

@Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ How do I access these log files via the Admin portal?

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2022

@jason.heaney you need to acces the server. Log files are stored based on the environment configuration but most of the time its configuration is default

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/important-directories-and-files-938847744.html#:~:text=The%20actual%20log%20files%20generated,found%20under%20the%20logs%20directory.

-> Jira home directory -> Important subdirectories -> log

Thank you Martin. I will contact Contegix to pull the jira application log file for me

jason.heaney September 22, 2022

@Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ 

I have received the log files but I'm not sure what to search for to see why the users are switched from active to inactive. 

I tried searching by:

• users first name/last name
  • inactive
  • deactivated

nothing comes up

The user list csv file they sent me too, which shows last login,  show that the users with this issue have logged in recently. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2022

Hi @jason.heaney I would try to check the log files record in the time the user was deactivated. You can see the date&time of the user's deactivation in the audit log. Can you check it, please?

jason.heaney September 26, 2022

Hello @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ I will have Contegix check that for us and report back..  Thank you

jason.heaney October 6, 2022

Hello @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ . Our server host for Jira, Contegix, isn't finding any issues with the configuration or finding anything unusual within the log files. They said it may be a problem with Okta. However, Okta is only providing the SSO and provisioning is not enabled. So Okta isn't managing the Jira accounts. So I am not sure where to go with this now and our list of people affected is slowly growing. This is so frustrating

Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

Hi @jason.heaney I guess you should contact Atlassian support if you have active maintenance subscription. It is really difficult to analyze something like that without access to the log files

jason.heaney October 7, 2022

Thank you Martin but our support contract has ended with Jira support. Thus why I am here hoping someone else had this issue and a resolution. 

I do appreciate your time and feedback with this. 

Thank you

Suggest an answer