Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Users showing Inactive

Hello,  We started noticing more users accounts are showing "inactive".  The users are still with the company and have not been removed from the systems.  I went in and switched one user back to active. Then shortly after jira switched it back to inactive.  We have Okta and no LDAP/AD for user management.  I am new to Jira and need some help with this please. Checked the forums but doesn't seem to be a fix for this scenario. 

2 answers

@ Martin Bayer  all it shows there is I went in and activated the user. Then manually ran the sync and then Jira set the user to inactive. 

Hi @jason_heaney can you check audit log? It might give you more details about deactivating user

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/auditing-in-jira-938847740.html

@jason_heaney aren't you exceeding your user tier?

Good question..  How do I check that? Sorry, I am very new to Jira. 

I checked under Applications->versions and licenses and no banner is there saying we are exceeding the user licenses. 

@Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__  Is that where I check if we are exceeding our user tier? Or is there another place?

Please advise. Thank you

HI @jason_heaney , I'm just checking on Jira 7 and it looks like:

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 8.44.57.png

So I can see what is the consumption of the licences...

Hello @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ 

That is where I looked and it shows unlimited users (397 used). I don't think this could be the issue then, right?

Hi @jason_heaney , no than it should not be the issue. I have another idea. Did you try to check the log files? There can be some log message which says what process deactivated the user...

@Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ How do I access these log files via the Admin portal?

@jason_heaney you need to acces the server. Log files are stored based on the environment configuration but most of the time its configuration is default

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/important-directories-and-files-938847744.html#:~:text=The%20actual%20log%20files%20generated,found%20under%20the%20logs%20directory.

-> Jira home directory -> Important subdirectories -> log

Thank you Martin. I will contact Contegix to pull the jira application log file for me

@Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ 

I have received the log files but I'm not sure what to search for to see why the users are switched from active to inactive. 

I tried searching by:

• users first name/last name
  • inactive
  • deactivated

nothing comes up

The user list csv file they sent me too, which shows last login,  show that the users with this issue have logged in recently. 

Hi @jason_heaney I would try to check the log files record in the time the user was deactivated. You can see the date&time of the user's deactivation in the audit log. Can you check it, please?

Hello @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ I will have Contegix check that for us and report back..  Thank you

Suggest an answer