Users randomly logged in as other user, how to stop this?

Adam Barylak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2013

I have switched our JIRA instance over to being accessed via a reverse proxy through IIS and ARR, and now randomly users are noticing that they are "logged in" as a different user. It has actually happened to me as well. We are on JIRA 5.2.6 and everything else with the reverse proxy is working fine. Does anyone have any ideas about why this could be happening? Let me know. Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Adam Barylak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2013

I may have figured out how to resolve this. We actually came across the same issue in Confluence once but Confluence isn't as heavily used. You have to Disable Output Caching in IIS:

Disable Output Caching

1. On the Site Home screen in IIS Manager double click on “Output Caching
  2. On the right side under Actions, click on Edit Feature Settings
  3. Uncheck Enable Cache and Enable kernel cache
  4. Click OK
John Rees May 11, 2015

Thanks for that tip Adam. We had the same issue with our JIRA, so I've disabled the IIS cache as you suggest. The problem only occurred very rarely, so I can't verify that the fix actually worked for us, but it is good advice anyway. Did you have any reliable way of causing the issue to occur, so that I can try and recreate it?

Adam Barylak
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2015

Sorry, I don't have a specific reproduction steps available since it was random. The only reason I even knew about it is because some honest users let me know of the issue with screenshots at the time. Since I disabled caching I have not had any more reports of this being an issue.

Mattias Kallvi October 16, 2018

Had the exact same issue. Followed your suggested steps, hope it solves our problems.

Suggest an answer