Users cannot reassign an issue in one group

Karan Seth
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 7, 2015

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Managing project role memberships

Group A

• User 1
  • User 2

Permission

Assignable User - Group A

Assign Users - Group A

Close Issues - Group A

Create Issues - Group A

Expectation

When the user opens an issue/task/whatever, they get to change the "Assignee" after leaving their comment

Reality

The 'Assignee' field is readonly and the user can only leave a comment. Why can't the issue be reassigned back to someone else?

I can't find a permission to change to enable this field.

New Update

The funny thing is, when they create a task, they can assign it to any user (not just group A) but when they open an existing task that is assigned to them, they cannot reassign it to another user. 

Create issue screen has the option

image2015-12-8 10:44:36.png

Edit/read issue doesn't allow the user to change the assignee

image2015-12-8 10:44:3.png

Turned off the "Assign Issues" option for this group and the create issue doesn't have an option to assign either. (thus proving that the right permission scheme is being used)

image2015-12-8 10:47:25.png

Looks like I need "3 points" to reply to a comment. So basically I can't respond to people's questions. I can't even attach images to the comment. WTF Jira! why so restrictive?

Reply to comment 1 (Nic Brough [Adaptavist])

yep, confirmed everything (checked the users, groups, permission scheme being used, everything).
The funny thing is, when they create a task, they can assign it to any user (not just group A) but when they open an existing task that is assigned to them, they cannot reassign it to another user.

If I go by your explanation, then they should be able to assign to each other, but that isn't the case either. They can assign to anyone when creating the issue but cannot reassign it once the issue is assigned to them.

Reply to comment 2 (Nic Brough [Adaptavist])

I need to increase my karma but can't coz I can't reply. It's like going for a job interview right after uni, the company wants 10 years experience but you can't coz no one wants to hire u. Expected JIRA would be better but that's a different rant.

And you have to be kidding me! The Assign button actually works!!! but WTF! We had a whole team training users on how to assign issues using that handy "Assignee" element and now we have to remind them to use the button because JIRA forgot to attach the restrictions to the handy combobox. 

Thanks mate. I'll go and feed the homeless now to increase my karma, hopefully that gets me the much sought after "points" that JIRA wants

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2015

People in Group A have the right to reassign the issue to other users, to anyone in group A, according to your permission scheme.

Are you sure you are looking at the right permission scheme for this project, and the user trying to do it is definitely in group A?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2015

Ok, the edits are really handy debugs, but a bit of a pain because edits don't send out emails. (The lack of comments is due to your low "karma" as a new user - as you interact a bit more, it will rise and that block will go away as the system will stop thinking you might be a spammer!) I think I may have spotted half of the problem though, and I have more questions (Sorry! I''ll pop back regularly in case you have to edit): 1. Could you show us the exact permissions? Just the "can assign issues" line - does it really just say "Group A"? 2. You show us the "Edit/Read" screen. What happens if you click the "assign" button? 3. Could you try a full "Edit" - actually go into "Edit" from the view screen. Does the edit screen contain "assignee"? 4. Could you show us the full permission set for "can be assigned issues" - does it really just say "Group A"?

Suggest an answer