Users can't tag others in tickets

Samuel Justus July 2, 2021

I've read other similar questions here and the solution seems to be - give them permission to browse projects. I have gone as far as giving permission to "anyone on the internet" and they can still not tag other users. What do I do?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2021

Hi @Samuel Justus

the user who tries to mention somebody must be in group jira-developers to make sure it works - from my understanding this is the only group which is able to "Browse Users and Groups" which is needed to do the mention.

Additionally the user who is to be mentioned needs to have Browse permission on the relevant project - this seems to be the case as (for a test?) you now allowed everyone (even anonymous users) to browse the project.

So my main question is: the user who wants to do the mention - is this user in group 'jira-developers'?

Regards,
Daniel

Samuel Justus July 9, 2021

@Daniel Ebers I added another group, and that worked. I guess I need to allow it at admin level and not just project level. 

Thanks!

0 votes
Magdalena Zhisheva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2021

Hi all, 

I was reviewing the answer of @Daniel Ebers but we have the following situation. 

In our instance have a custom group and it has been added in the "Browse Users and Groups" . However, the users are not able to tag others in tickets. 

Should we include the users from our custom group to be in be in group jira-developers or there is some other solution?

Thank you in advance!

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2021

Hi @Magdalena Zhisheva

putting them into "Browse Users and Groups" is a perfect first step.
There should not be missing much.
Can they tag absolutely nobody or only some people?

The only thing that I could imagine being still missing then is that the people that should be tagged/mentioned are not able to see the issue - basically they can only be mentioned if they can see the issue afterwards as per their permissions.

Could you please check and confirm they have at least "browse permission" for the project in question?

Regards,
Daniel

Like Magdalena Zhisheva likes this
Magdalena Zhisheva
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2021

Hi @Daniel Ebers 

Thank you for your reply!

The problem here was that we need this group to have access to one project only. However, we were able to limit the access and when assigned them a developers role permission, and added them to browse group and users permissions, everything seems to be fine now. 

BR, 

Magdalena

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

By “tag” do you mean “mention”, I assume so. Can you share screenshots of:

• your global permissions for browse - admin > system > global permissions 
  • your project permissions page - project settings > permissions 

what happens when you try to mention someone? Are you able to set the Assignee to someone that you are trying to mention?

Samuel Justus July 6, 2021

I (admin) am able to mention users, but there are other users who are not able to. I've also added these users to a group that has had the permission, but it still isn't workingmention issue 2.PNG

mention issue.PNG

Samuel Justus July 8, 2021

@Jack Brickey any advice?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2021

Assuming you have admin permissions, can you check the global browse users and groups setting? You can find this here…

<your site>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/GlobalPermissions!default.jspa

Samuel Justus July 9, 2021

@Jack Brickey I sent a screenshot above of that page. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events