Users are not able to reorder the columns in JIRA work management board

Harshal Rathee May 6, 2024

Hi,

I created company managed JIRA work management project with default workflow. 

We assigned some values to the filed 'category' and want to group the board view based on this field .

The problem users are facing is to reorder the columns from left to right by drag and drop, they don't have the permissions to do so. Only admin or project lead can do that but also there is an issue that admins cannot set a default order for all users so that all users can view the same order of columns from left to right. 

I saw some posts where people wrote reorder of columns is possible for all users and is restricted to their own personal view. However even this is not possible for me at the moment.

Thanks 

Harshal

2 answers

0 votes
Harshal Rathee May 6, 2024

Thanks @Jack Brickey , Actually I wanted to reorder the columns on the board view. At the moment we have 11 values for the field category and when I use the group issues by 'Category'Capture.PNG

there are grouped in 11 columns. Now the order of these columns is not correct and users want to order them as per their preference which they cant do. Only I as a Admin can directly drag and drop them but the updated order/sequence is only set for me. 

I tried to check on the list view and there i can't see any thing where after grouping all issues by category i can reorder the groups itself.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2024

Hi @Harshal Rathee , yes users should be able to configure their List view. Please see the following article for more on this here -  filter-sort-copy-and-rank-issues-in-the-list . I gave pulled an excerpt below and do note the underlined text.

Reorder the fields in your list

Everyone visualizes their work differently, so you may want to customize the list view. Arrange your list view so you can view the information that’s most important to you first.

To reorder the fields in your list:

1. Hover your cursor over the field (column) header

2. Select the drag icon

3. Drag the fields (columns) at the top of the list to suit the order in which you’d like to view your items.

To move issues and change the order in the list view, you’ll first need to clear any sorting rankings you’ve used.

Harshal Rathee May 15, 2024

Thanks for the response. Can the user also do the same on the board view ? As an admin I can do it but users are not able to do that. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2024

No that is a shared board experience managed by the admin. It is an interesting ask. Generally this isn't something that would make sense to do. What is the scenario where you would want to allow users to reorder?

Harshal Rathee May 15, 2024

In our scenario we have 11 columns, each user wants to see the different sorting of columns because tasks assigned to them are more relevant to view in the initial columns then do a scrolling to right. As admin I can change the view for myself but not for others. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events