User story vs. New Feature

The question is about types of issues.

When it's better to use User Story and when to use New Feature. What's the difference?

And can User Story contain several New Features or only Tasks?

Do you link them or how you see the mapping to all the tasks associated with a User Story?

I just want to understand which types of issues to leave in JIRA and in what cases I have to use them.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

The short answer is whatever makes sense to your team. The issue types are just labels. You can create additional labels for issues. It is your team's definition of those labels that matters. There is no reason why an 'User Story' cannot have both 'New Features' and 'Tasks' related issues.

Norman, thanks for taking time for the reply. Thas makes sense.

But ...

We use rapid board (kanban) in our process. And if the User Story will contain both New Features and Tasks how not to lost them all while resolving? It's good to create a Task and then related subtasks, then it's attached to the view task page and one can see all subtasks. How to do this in case of User Story or New Feature? (So under New Feature I can see the related tasks and progress of these tasks?)

You use issue linking to maintain the relationships. Maybe reading this previous answer will help you understand better. It is the section about breaking down stories that relates to your question.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/72394/manage-epic-stories-in-jira-greenhopper

So if I understand your example

User Story 1

related to link to New Feature 1

User Story 2

related to link Task 2

Subtask 2-1

related to link Task1

Subtask 1-1

You can use one of the issue hierachy plugins or define a naming convention to help maintain the hierachy (new field or add to the summary field)

Thanks for the advice. This helps. :)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

443 views 6 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you