User not receiving email notifications

Jesper Kehlet January 19, 2014

We have at least one (single) user (myself) that does not receive email notifications. This seem to have started 2-3 months back.

We made absolutely NO changes to configuration of notifications, schemes, email addresses or anything.

What could it possibly be? It's very frustrating not to receive these and customers are getting irritated because I don't respond.

/Jesper

6 answers

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
Jesper Kehlet January 20, 2014

Nic, you were right, it was the notification schemes. To our knowledge nobody messed with them, but I reset them all and now it's working again!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2014

Atlassian are working on logging admin actions, then you'll have a bit more to go on :-)

Like # people like this
Jirong Hu February 18, 2015

How do you "reset"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2015

You manually set the scheme back to say "reporter, assignee and watchers" for every event.

1 vote

It looks like it only happens if a JIRA ticket is assigned without a comment. If we fill in a comment, then it sends out an email. That sounds like a JIRA issue/setup. Does that help?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2014

Sounds like someone changed your notification schemes. Look specifically at the comment and assign lines...

Is there a default notification scheme reset? I would like to go back to the original/baseline and start testing from there.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2014

No "reset" button on them, but the default isn't complex for notification schemes.

Every event goes to "reporter, current assignee and all watchers"

Like Ryan McBride likes this
David Skreiner November 14, 2014

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/204809/users-no-longer-receiving-emails-when-assigned-an-issue Apparently, when someone clicks Edit and changes the Assignee, JIRA fires an "issue updated" event... at least until Jira 6.10 https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-29328 JIRA can only fire one event for each action, and in case of the Assignee field only fires "issue updated", not "issue assigned". Workaround that seems to have worked for me: Alter your Notification Scheme to inlcude the current assignee for "Issue Updated" events.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2016

If others are getting the notes and you are not, then there's two things to check - first that it's someone else taking the actions that should notifiy you (it won't mail you for your own changes by default) and second, your mail.

The mail is going missing at the mail server or client side.  Check all your inboxes, especially spam.  Check that your mail client is not automatically deleting anything (like spam).  Gmail works fine for receiving JIRA email by default, so it's not gmail, it's a setting you've got somewhere.

Jagruti Mhetre September 18, 2018

Hi Nic,

I'm the reporter of the issue and one of the team member(he is not Assignee and not the reporter) commented on that ticket by @ my_user_name

I checked my spam folder and didn't receive notification for this comment.

Please give me some suggestion what else I can verify to fix this issue.

Regards,

Swetha

0 votes
Abhinav Goel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 8, 2016

to add - it's something with my id, rest of the team members are getting the notification.

any help suggestion please.

0 votes
Abhinav Goel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 7, 2016

I am not receiving the notification for any update or if anyone assign the JIRA issue to me. I have checked with my JIRA Admin but it seems that there is everything perfect at his side. 

is there anyhting I need to make changes in my gmail mail box to enable the notification from JIRA.

Regards,

Abhinav

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2014

If it was working, and you've made no changes on the Jira side, then something has changed on the email side of things and broken it. Check your spam filters, filtering/sorting rules in your client, and the logs on your email servers.

If you think it's still Jira, then I would work through the parts of https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Notifications+Troubleshootingyou can (you won't be able to do all of it because you're using OnDemand) and then raise an issue with OnDemand support to check the rest. However, they do monitor the logs, and it's likely they'd have told you if there was a problem on the OnDemand side.

Suggest an answer