User friendly interface for long multi-select lists?

cathy waters August 18, 2014

I'm struggling with how to make selection for an extremely long list of multi-select values more user friendly. for example - there are upwards of 600 values, and it would be common to have 40-60 selected. Ideally we'd like to have the ability to select using 2 fields like the available values and selected values from the selection list and the abililty to Add / Remove the the selected list.

There seems to be a method like this within the administration side of JIRA (e.g. for selecting exceptional user groups on the "Comment required on transition" Workflow Validator). I don't see an equivilant in the Data Renderers for Multi-Select.

I tried segmenting the multi-select into a few multi-check box fields, and using the Post Function to Copy field to field to merge the values from the multi-check box fields into the multi-select field. I made sure the first multi-checkbox field was copied into the multi-select field, and the subsequent post functions "added" their multi-checkedbox values into the multi-select field using the Copy

This looked promising, when something was checked in each multi-check box field was non-empty. However the post function failed for any of the multi-check box field that was empty.
I haven't found an easy way to make the post function conditional on a field being non-empty.

Has any one else tried to solve this problem?
Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Cathy Waters

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
cathy waters August 26, 2014
Well for now it looks like we'll use the multi-checkbox field type, and segment the checkboxes to reduce the overall length of the field. I finally saw the script modification that allows us to the the width as well as size on an mutli select field and that has helped as well
1 vote
Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2014

As I see from https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-32290- it is not developed yet for jira. As an option you can write your own plugin with needed field behaviour and renderer.

cathy waters August 19, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion Alexey. Unfortunately I don't think our users would find typing 40 + long names ahead very user friendly especially when many start with these start with 10 - 15 character long prefixes shared by 20-150 values each. I'm not yet skilled in creating my own plugins. Can you point me to a sample Plugin that deals with custom field types and renderers, in case I need to boostrap myself?

0 votes
cathy waters August 19, 2014

If there are no solutions readily available, can you point me to an example that could serve as a starting point for creating a plugin for a new field type and renderer?

Suggest an answer