Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

User cannot be assigned to an issue if he is already a reporter

Dear all,

We find a wierd issue in our customer Jira cloud instance.

1. We have a USER1 who is a reporter of an issue
  2. User1 has all necessary permission to be aasignable to any project and any issue
  3. User1 is reporter of an issue
  4. If an other user try to assign an issue to a USER1 who is already the reporter of that issue, then USER1 is not part of allow ist of users from Assigne user picker list

If we remove USER1 as a reporter, then we are allowed to assign USER1 to the issue.

Question :
Is this a particular behaviour of Jira cloud that user as repoter can not be assign to the issue they are reporter ?

We did not find this behaviour in Jira DataCenter

Thanks for clarification

regards

1 answer

0 votes

No, that's not how Cloud works either, the assignee field does not care if someone is logged as the reporter.   In fact it's a common practice to set the assignee to the reporter when an issue is resolved, so they can confirm and close it off.

I'm not able to replicate this on my Cloud service, which suggests you have some form of customisation doing it.

Hello @Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ ,

what do you mean by sorte of customisation ?

What is strange is that we noticed it happens only for a particular user

We have check project permission and roles between an other same user in the group and all is the same.

Any idea where I could check ?

I mean that you've added something to your system that enables this behaviour and then used it!  

Interesting that it's only for one user though. 

For debugging it, I would want to see all of the rules in the permission scheme for "Assignable user"  (i.e. what groups/project roles/dynamic roles/fields/etc are set to get assignable user) and then how this one user matches any or all of those rules.

The only time I'd expect to see a user dropped out of the assignee list like this is if they are already the assignee, in which case, their id just moves to the top of the list and is the default (rather than appearing part way through the possible assignee list)

Oh, and also, I'd like to know if it happens for different assignERS and what the exact occurrences are.

Let's say your user is Bob.  Bob reports issue XYZ-123 but does not assign it. Bob looks at XYZ-123 and clicks Edit.  Is Bob offered their own name in the list of possible assignees?  Cancel the edit and then try "assign issue".  Again, is Bob listed in the possible assignees?

Now you log in and go to XYZ-123, and repeat the edit and assign tests - are you offered the option to select Bob in either of them?

Hello @Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ ,

Yes it appears to only one user which is not able to even assign himselve to a project ticket on which he has full rights.

What my customer does as a test which works, but strange:

- he remove the user from the reporter field
- At that time the user is visible in the assigne user picker field and was abel to assign that user to the ticket
- Then he set back as well teh same user as reporter

Groups the user belongs to :

chrome_617JqaJNdC.pngchrome_bxErC6TJqb.png

Project Roles user belongs to:

chrome_9cjVESZ9KS.pngchrome_vJ4drQKYGB.png

Project Scheme where the issue has been find:

cMJX97Nv3C.png

What is  wierd also is that if I use the permission helper on the project issue as below :

All is reported as ok for Assignable user

is tehre a possibility that user gets invited on the side but the full registration of teh account is not fully complete for some reason ?

regards

Ok, but what happens when you try the tests I asked for?

Hello @Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ , I have ask customer to try that and get back to me on results

I just notice one thing on the platform , There are 2 users defined as below :

Grégoire Wulliamoz (gwulliamoz@greenmotion.ch)
Grégoire.Wulliamoz (gwulliamoz@itecor.com)

Does those 2 account could disturbed Jira in a way in term of search and user picker ?

Regards

Quite possibly, if one account is being mistaken for another!

We'll wait for the customer to test (unless of course we can do something to see if it's the very similar names causing confustion!)

Like Muhammad Ramzan likes this

hello @Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ , all is working ok now.

Excellent news, glad you managed to find whatever it was!

I am curious, what was it in the end?  Purely out of curiosity, in case someone else sees something similar, it would be nice to know how you managed to fix it!  (Obviously, I'm just going to point people here if you can tell us what it was, you found and fixed it, not me, I wouldn't want to take any credit)

Only thing I did is delete the duplicate account for same user name

Ahh, it was that simple then!  But a right pain in the neck to diagnose, so well spotted by you there! I would have been stuck on this for ages I think.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you