User can't see issue, but can see the project board

Jonathan Mao September 24, 2019

I have a project, with some swimlanes. Each swimlane represents a business area. We'll call it the Master Project.

I want some users to see ONLY the issues for their business area. i.e., only the issues in a particular swimlane.

To enable this, I've set up other projects (and boards) for each of the swimlanes, so that they display only the issues from the relevant swimlane in the Master Project. I've done that by using a filter query to display the issues from the appropriate swimlane in the Master Project. That works for me (a Jira administrator), I can see all the issues.

To manage the visibility, I've set up groups, project roles, and permission schemes. The project roles have browse permission for their board. They do NOT have browse permission for the Master Project.

I've added the relevant group (and project role) to each board under the People setting.

I've logged in as one of the users (who is not an administrator) and can see the project board they belong to, but can't see the issues in that board. I can only see the issues when I login as myself (an administrator)

I followed / checked the procedure here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/how-to-restrict-project-access-for-teams-in-jira-cloud-953142266.html

What have I missed? :)

I think I may have to do the reverse of the above approach. i.e., have issues in individual projects, then have the Master Project draw from them via a filter query.

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2019

Hi Jonathan,

Permissions are not actually granted to boards - they are only granted to filters. Whether the user can see any issues for the board depends on their permissions on the associated filters. 

Check the Details for each filter to see who they are shared with. 

Jonathan Mao September 26, 2019

Thanks John

I did check the details for the filter, which is shared with the Project.

I logged in as one of the users, who still can't see the issues.

I suspect this is because the issues exist on the Master Project, to which the user does not have Browse permission.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2019

Yes, if the issues were created against the Master Project, each user would need to Browse  Project permissions to see those issues. 

Like Jonathan Mao likes this

Suggest an answer