User can't reset his password

Stephen Doc Scholz January 29, 2020

One of my team members was having trouble getting into Jira, couldn't remember his password. He tried to reset it and got this message. "Something went wrong while attempting to change your password. Please try again." It keeps doing that. 

jiraerror.png

He has also gotten this.

2020-01-29_1408.png

3 answers

0 votes
Holly July 6, 2020

We're having this issue now as well.  Using the Cloud version of Jira, I attempted to change his email by 'suggesting a change'.  WHen he received the email and tried to change his email he got the above error messages.  He has tried in different browsers along with going incognito and no extensions.  Worst case is we create a new user but that's last resort.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2020

Hi @Holly ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I can see that you are site-admin of a standard Jira site. Therefore, in your case, I think it would be best to open a support request for this issue by using below link:

Let me know in case of any problem with this.

Cheers,
Dario

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Holly July 9, 2020

OK, I did that too.  First time I've had an issue I couldn't solve so hit both not knowing what would be best.  Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2020

You are very welcome. Have a nice weekend @Holly !

0 votes
Doug Harris February 25, 2020

I'm having this same problem in Chrome. No problem logging in in Firefox.

If I try to login with my current password, I get an error message saying "Oops, you've made a malformed request."

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
February 27, 2020

Hi Doug,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Since this error happens only on chrome, it can be related to the browser or your profile in chrome.

If clearing cookies and cache and disabling extensions don't work, it may be related to your profile. To confirm that, you can try to login to Jira using Chrome from another computer.

If it's a profile issue, to fix this you can follow the steps from the website below:

Open chrome://settings/resetProfileSettings, or open the browser's settings first, click on show advanced settings and there on the reset button that appears here.

You can select to reset the following settings:

• Default search engine
  • Homepage
  • Content settings
  • Cookies and site data
  • Extensions, new tab page and themes

Note that this will reset all data including modifications that you may have made to the browser. A restart is not required to complete the reset.

Please, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Angélica

Doug Harris February 27, 2020

I was able to login after disabling the "Google Docs Offline" Chrome extension.

Like Angélica Luz likes this
0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2020

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Just for us to better understand and help you with this issue, I would like to know if you contacted your site administrator to confirm if your colleague's account is active on the site.

Also, a site administrator can send an email to reset the password. They must go to Administration > Users > Click on the desired account and on the top right they must click on … > Prompt reset password.

Screenshot 2020-01-31_16-14-32-721.png

Please, ask your teammate to go to id.atlassian.com to try to log in just to confirm if they have access to the account administration.

Another test is to try logging in using incognito mode to make sure they are not connected with any other account.

Regards,
Angélica

JIRA Administrators February 7, 2020

One of my organization's users has started to experience the same problem behavior within the past week, when attempting to update his password through Chrome.   

He was able to work around it by using Incognito mode or another browser (such as Firefox). 

He cleared the full browser cache in Chrome but doing so did not resolve the issue.  He has a support ticket open with Atlassian (https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/23/JST-548824)

Suggest an answer