User can't edit own worklog after Restoring data from Xml backup

Jithin G Pavithran
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 9, 2019

User has the permission to edit own work log in the permission scheme. But edit option is not available in the issue view under the work log section. 

Edit option disappeared after Restoring the data from xml backup.

Can anyone help me with this?

Permission helper - Jira.png

1 answer

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2019

Hello @Jithin G Pavithran

Sorry to hear you are facing this problem.

Per your description, I believe there are two possible reasons that might be causing the user to don't see the option to edit its own worklogs:

1 - The User is using the New issue view:

The new issue view of Jira didn't have the option to edit worklog entries, however, it was finally implemented on December 2sd:

As a user I'd like to edit a work log in the new issue view as I could before Work log tab 

Since the implementation of new features are performed in batches, it's possible that this option is not available yet for your instance. To confirm that, ask the user to turn-off the new issue view and check if he is able to edit his work logs in the old view.

If he is, let us know and we will properly ask the development team to deploy the new feature for you.

2 - During the XML restore, a new user was created for him instead of using the same user that created the worklog entries previously:

It is possible that a new user has been created after the backup restore, causing the previous work log entries to be related to a different user which he is not able to edit. The easiest way to confirm if that's the case would be by temporarily add the user with the "Edit All Worklogs" permission and check if he is able to edit the mentioned work logs.

Let us know your results when you have the chance to try both suggestions above.

Jithin G Pavithran
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 11, 2019

Thank you very much Mr. @Petter Gonçalves for the response. 

The second option worked for me !!

Is there any permanent solution to fix this issue? I don't want to provide "Edit All Worklogs" permission to all my users. All users are facing this issue after the XML restore.

Also, User can't edit new worklog entries (which is created after the XML restore) with the 'Edit own worklog' permission. 

Suggest an answer