User a custom field in workflow transition

Micheal Healey October 26, 2012

I am building a Jira Project with custom workflow that will handle all of our Procurement. I have the workflow ironed out and ready to go (create process first then genereate workflow from that process worked excellent in my case).

I would like to capture a custom field on the Create Issue screen where the user has to put in their Supervisors account and then the workflow would automatically route the issue to the supervisor named (wish it could pull that from Active Directory - ours is in there) for processing. The rest of the workflow is easy.

I can create the custom field and display it on the Open Issue screen. But cannot get the transition to use that custom field

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2012

Hi,

I do this quite often. If you have miscellaneous workflow extensions which you should if you don't already https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmwe.jira-misc-workflow-extensions

Then you can in a post function copy the Supervisor to the Assignee field.

Susan

Micheal Healey October 30, 2012

Thanks Susan. I am working on this now.

0 votes

I figured out how to get a custom field on a User Lookup. I can now collect that data but cannot figure out a way to use that information in a transition in a workflow

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2012

You could use components for this, and then automatically assign to component leads.

Hadn't thought of that. Create a custom component for each group and then have the component lead be the supervisor.

Actually might be easier that way. The end user just selects what group they are in then it will automatically flow.

I'll try on Monday and see how that works.

Suggest an answer