User / Issue mapping in Jira DB

We migrated from JIRA OnDemand to a local instance. We did a full import of the OnDemand system and then added matching LDAP accounts for each of the internal users that was imported. After synchronizing and disabling the Internal Jira account DB we are finding that multiple Issues are assigned to invalid usernames, and they appear with #1 at the end.


Mitigating factors: The OD export was a slightly newer version of Jira, but it did import into a new,empty, instance of Jira locally without errors. Also, a couple of accounts were found to have the same UID in LDAP but were corrected. Jira has been restarted and resynchronized multiple times.

For example an issue in OnDemand had:
Assigned To: George Lee
Reported By: George Lee

Now in our local instance it is:
Assigned To: George Lee
Reported By: glee#1

I can manually fix this but there are a large number of issues to correct.

Where is the mapping in the DB between the issue Assignee and Reporter? If I knew how that worked I might be able to fix it directly in the DB.

3 answers

1 accepted

As we looked into it deeper the re-index only fixed a small portion of issue assignments. and still not clear why it was only for me in the one browser. In the end to correct all of the user assignment and reporter associations required a lot of manual effort.

For open issues we were able to use the Tools - Bulk Edit option to reassociate users.

For closed issues I had to reopen, fix, and re-close them. This wasn't critical but I didn't want to leave historical issues unsearchable by user.

Still would be nice to know where we might have been able to see the incorrect user mappings in the DB.

Reviewed several other tickets, all which said "DON'T muck directly in the DB for anything..." which I am heeding. Also found several references to re-indexing which as a new user I didn't know what that was.

Found it in the System - Advanced - Indexing page and ran a background re-index. Only took 36seconds on our relatively small instance. Issues are all showing correct Reporter and Assignee for me now.

Still having a problem where other users are seeing the old, incorrect users assigned. One even tried running a blocking re-index, logout/in and a different browser and the issue still exists for him.

Will update this ticket once we figure that out. Seems like another level of cache somewhere.

marking answered, no further investigation planned

You need to accept one of the answers (should be a tick to the left of them all)

thanks, it was sending me emails saying to Answer my own question so thought that would close it out.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Apr 17, 2018 in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

788 views 2 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you