User Directories and Adding Users

wlong (SHIP) February 6, 2012

I'm looking at connecting JIRA and Confluence to our Active Directory. My question is if I do this, does it automatically add users to the JIRA and Confluence environment or is it just a directory to pick from? So if I do connect to AD, do I still have to add users to JIRA manually?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
wlong (SHIP) February 23, 2012

So, users are available in JIRA but they are not really added to JIRA unless you pick a group to add them to when you bring them over. I connected through our AD and didn't assign anyone to a group and all the names are there but I don't have any "active" users until I put them in the jira-users group

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2012

It is just a directory to pick from. But you don't need to manually add users to JIRA or Confluence. There is a syncing between the Atlassian apps and the Active Directory and the list of users in AD is automatically refreshed on to JIRA or Confluence.

You can also have an internal directory where you can create users in JIRA or Confluence for admin purpose etc. But it is optional.

wlong (SHIP) February 6, 2012

I guess I'm still a little foggy on this. AD is new to me.

So, if I connect to our AD, it's a directory within the Atlassian apps. Then there's the concept of USERS within the Atlassian apps. Are USERS automatically added when you connect to AD or is it just a list to pick from and the adminstrator must add USERS. Our AD has 100 users in it and when I connect, I don't want them all as active users in the Atlassian apps.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2012

USERS are automatically added when you connect to AD but you can add some restrictions on who are active users. For example, only people who have USE permission are active users. By default, it is the members in group jira-users or confluence-users. If you have only 50 AD users in it, only 50 will be counted as active.

You can even define a BaseDN to pick the users from.

See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+an+LDAP+Directory for more details on JIRA. The concept is same for Confluence as well.

Suggest an answer