Use variables to reuse dashboard for multiple users

Damian Kiesling January 5, 2015

I'm not even sure how to ask my question effectively so i'll attempt to describe what i'm trying to do.

I manage 5 people and i want to create a separate dashboard for each so that i can keep track of each of their tasks and progress. each of my dashboards have 7 Filter Results gadgets that basically just pull back the issues that meet a set of criteria. I've created 5 different dashboards (1 for each of person) and anytime i want to make a change to my dashboards i have to modify 5 different dashboards/filters. Is there a way for me to do build a dashboard once and then select which person i want the issues for.

the way this would work in my head would be to create filters using a variable (assignee = userX). Then create some sort of toggle (similar to the quick filters in a KanBan or Scrum board) that would allow me to toggle that variable (userX = john) so that the dashboard will update with only john's issues.

is there any chance that this is possible? or are their other ways i might be able to go about achieving what i'm looking for? i just hate having to made a change 5 times everytime i want to update these boards.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2015

I think you can accomplish a lot of this by using nested filters and functions. Take a look at: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching

For example:

assignee = user1 and resolution is empty
assignee = user2 and resolution is empty
assignee = user3 and resolution is empty

Would become:

assignee = currentUser() and resolution is empty

This would not work when you went to audit their work, but it would make it easier to control their boards.

Nested filters allow you to convert this:

assignee = user1 and project = ABC and label = foo and status = ready

Into:

project = ABC and label = foo and status = ready - Saved filter named ABCReadyFoo
assignee = user1 and filter = ABCReadyFoo
Damian Kiesling January 5, 2015

thanks Boris! not a perfect solution but it definitely saves me a bunch of time when i need to make updates to my filters. i just spent the last hour and a half updating all my filters.

Damian Kiesling January 6, 2015

@Boris Berenberg , is there any chance that i can do the same or similar thing with my dashboards?

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2015

I am not sure what you mean? The JQL will execute as whatever user runs it.

0 votes
Petra Goldstein May 2, 2017

I use this method heavily. Does anyone know - has the nested functionality broken in one of the recent Jira updates? (currently using 7.1.9 installed locally). I have recently been getting different results for 

filter abc: "query = 123"

and : "filter = abc"

(in my situation there are multiple levels, so this could be broken only at double or triple levels of nesting) 

Thanks,

Mike

Suggest an answer