Use validation to prevent issue creation based on parent's custom field value

I am looking to implement a system of Toll Gates.  I want to prevent the creation of a child issue (not sub-task) unless the parent's Toll Gate (custom field) is set to a certain value.  I've looked at and tried the Workflow Toolbox's solutions, a project property will not suffice, looked through the blogs and such.  Has anyone ever tried implementing a simple Toll Gate system to enforce quality within a validation rule?

Thanks much in advance

1 answer

I think a Conditioned validator (Update on Transition for JIRA add-on) on the create issue transition could be configured to do this. You need a JQL query to determine the parent key (your definition of parent) and use the result as the first parameter of the fieldValue function substitution variable and Toll Gate as the second parameter. Use that as part of the condition for the creation of the issue. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,006 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot