Use case: I want to create a set of issues and share the same issues with multiple projects

Anamika November 7, 2019
  1. I have a set of issues (stories and epics) which I want in multiple projects. However, all the projects must have their own copy of these issues, for example issue-230 will be shown as proj1-issue-230 for project-1 and proj2-issue-230 for project-2 and so on. This is because all the teams need to work on these issues separately but yes the same things as other teams will do. Also, for management purposes I need to be able to track the progress of all of these issues for different projects from one single place in jira as well. I tried to implement this using jira boards (which is just a visualization of issues) but since I do not want them to effect each other when I change things at one place, that is not how I could achieve it. I would really appreciate if somebody can help me with what would be the best way to implement this use case. Please let me know if you need more information. Thanks.

1 answer

2 votes
Bharath Kumar Kappala
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2019

@Anamika  To get this working you would need a add-on some of them would be 

• Jira workflow toolbox
  • Jira misc workflow extenstions
  • power scripts for Jira
  • script runner

and there are a lot of other add-ons that would help you achieve this in Jira.

So basically you would have a post function written in the initial project that you are using which will initiate the creation of all the tickets in all the other different projects.This way when you create a ticket in one project based on the post function you set up Jira would automatically create the n number of tickets in different projects.

The good thing about these add-ons is you can also copy the custom field values from the primary ticket which you create and copy them on to the automated tickets or change the values of the automated ticket based on the initial ticket.

And after all the ticket are created you can manage all of them in a dashboard. Just write a filter for these tickets and add the filter to the dashboard to manage the progress of all these tickets.

Suggest an answer