Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Use cascading fields in automation

Hello, 

I am trying to get my head around this. I am currently building a Jira board and in here we have multiple departments, each department with various managers and directors. 

I would need to set up an automation rule that emails the manager based on a cascading field. 

Example: Department select is Customer services, Manager name selected in the child field. This needs to then trigger an email to that person.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Basically you just need to add {{issue.customfield_1234}} which is the cascading customfield then just put "contains" and then input the value of the child.

1 vote
Ivan Lima Community Leader Mar 02, 2022

There are a few options I can think of to implement this, but depending on the number of cascade options, it can be cumbersome to maintain as a cascade select list. What is the trigger for the notification? Ideally, you could design a solution using a user picker type of field to make it easier to send notifications.

The trigger will be the Department set and department child field set to the managers name. 

automation.png

This is what I have tried so far but cannot get the rule to apply.

Ivan Lima Community Leader Mar 02, 2022

Okay, so the trigger is the "issue createdevent, and then you have your logic around the cascade custom field to send the notification. I assume you already have an action to send the email.

From an implementation perspective, you could have something like:

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 1.37.43 PM.png

Value of the parent:

{{issue.fields.Cascade.value}}

Value of the child:

{{issue.fields.Cascade.child.value}}

Try to play around with that; break your automation into smaller chunks to make it easier to troubleshoot and spot where the gaps are.

Like # people like this

Hi, I have the same issue and my automation is working as expected for issues created in Jira but we are using Issue collector and that is not working at all. Any idea?

Thanks 

Sverrir Tynes
Origo, Iceland

Suggest an answer