Use cascading fields in automation

Mihir Ruparelia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2022

Hello, 

I am trying to get my head around this. I am currently building a Jira board and in here we have multiple departments, each department with various managers and directors. 

I would need to set up an automation rule that emails the manager based on a cascading field. 

Example: Department select is Customer services, Manager name selected in the child field. This needs to then trigger an email to that person.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Charlie Rivarez - CIA August 4, 2022

Basically you just need to add {{issue.customfield_1234}} which is the cascading customfield then just put "contains" and then input the value of the child.

1 vote
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2022

There are a few options I can think of to implement this, but depending on the number of cascade options, it can be cumbersome to maintain as a cascade select list. What is the trigger for the notification? Ideally, you could design a solution using a user picker type of field to make it easier to send notifications.

Mihir Ruparelia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2022

The trigger will be the Department set and department child field set to the managers name. 

automation.png

This is what I have tried so far but cannot get the rule to apply.

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2022

Okay, so the trigger is the "issue createdevent, and then you have your logic around the cascade custom field to send the notification. I assume you already have an action to send the email.

From an implementation perspective, you could have something like:

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 1.37.43 PM.png

Value of the parent:

{{issue.fields.Cascade.value}}

Value of the child:

{{issue.fields.Cascade.child.value}}

Try to play around with that; break your automation into smaller chunks to make it easier to troubleshoot and spot where the gaps are.

Like # people like this
Vish Mande April 6, 2023

@Ivan Lima

Is there way we can match on of the condition instead of "all match" in same IF statement?  Like,

if: A match "value1" OR A match "Value2"

Then: send email

Thanks,

Vish

0 votes
Sverrir Tynes _Origo_ January 25, 2023

Hi, I have the same issue and my automation is working as expected for issues created in Jira but we are using Issue collector and that is not working at all. Any idea?

Thanks 

Sverrir Tynes
Origo, Iceland

Suggest an answer