Use a Field Smart Value For Destination Project when Creating New Issue with Automation

Haddon Fisher June 15, 2018

We have a tier 1 support project which we use as initial triage for client and other reported issues. Once the ticket has been vetted, it is transitioned into an 'escalated to...' status, which triggers a SR script to generate a new linked issue in the appropriate development project, as identified by a select list custom field.

We recently purchased Automation Pro, and I'd really love to replace the script with an automation rule, which is easier to manage. To that end:

1) Is it possible to use a smart value to set the project in which a 'create issue' action generates an issue?

2) Is it possible to do any type of string manipulation on a smart value? Right now this custom field contains a string with the name and project key of the destination project - I can alter this if necessary, but I'd love to not need to. I can get into the context if needed, but I cannot use a project picker field here.

6 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Haddon Fisher June 22, 2018

Posting this for posterity - while you cannot use a smart value to solve this problem, you can use the JSON\additional fields option to do this. In my case, I had to do some string manipulation to get the key out:

{code}
{
"fields": {
"project": {
"key": "{{issue.L3 Escalation Project.value.substringAfter(\"(\").remove(\")\")}}"
}
}
}
{code}

0 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2018

Hi Haddon,

Great to see you found our docs on text functions!

Unfortunately though I don't think you'll be able to implement number 1 currently. We don't support smart-values yet in the project and issue type fields. We've got an issue to track this already at https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-948 

We've got quite a few higher priority items in our backlog at the moment so it will be a while before we can get to this, but we'll let you know when we get a chance to work on this.

Cheers,
Andreas

Rick Westbrock August 29, 2023

Five years later and still no support for smart values in the Project field. :(

A support agent did create https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AUTO-839 for me two weeks ago however for "Support smart values for Project field of Create Issue action".

2 votes
Benoit April 26, 2021

Use smart value like this:

{{issue.ProjectPickerCustomFiled.ID}}

Where ProjectPickerCustomFiled is the name of your custom field that is an issue picker.

.Id .Key .Name  are all field that you can take from a project picker

Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2021

Thanks @Benoit 

This works fine with the ID 

Andrey Kiyanovsky January 30, 2024

Thanks, @Benoit That worked! For some reason. ".key" did not work.

1 vote
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2023

For anyone still in need of this, I have the larger solution mapped out here.

Jack Hemsworth
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 9, 2024

That solution's for cloud, how would we do this if we have a DC instance, and a Project object referenced by an asset object?

0 votes
Rick Westbrock August 14, 2023

I have the exact same requirement as OP but could not find an RFE to add smart value support for the Project field. I will obviously have to send a web request to do this but I will create a new Suggestion post for smart value support also.

Rick Westbrock August 15, 2023

For anyone who stumbles across this old thread via search (like I did) I submitted this suggestion: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-discussions/Support-smart-values-for-Project-field-of-Create-Issue-action/m-p/2450406

0 votes
Haddon Fisher June 15, 2018

I think I fished my wish for question 2 (its amazing what you find if you look) so I guess the actual question then would be "if I can use a smart value to set a project, will it take the key or the name?"

Suggest an answer