Uploaded images show zero KB

Ian Overton May 18, 2022

I attempted to create a bug card and upload screenshots of the bug. The screenshots I captured then cropped on my iPad Pro 11" uploaded as "zero KB" in size. Other users confirmed they are unable to see them.

D9081A5E-FAED-4B6C-BAE0-B8464F6DA2AC.jpeg

I have the current version of the app as of 5/18/22. Tried deleting and reposting the card.

When I use a browser to access Jira instead of the app, it works. I can see the attachments there.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2022

Hi Ian, 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community! 

Just so that I can confirm what you are attempting to do, you are using the Jira Mobile app on your iPad and attempting to select an image stored on the iPad when the issue happens.  But when you access Jira via the browser on the iPad and pick the same image to upload it works?  

I just ran a quick test on an Android device and was able to upload an image both via capturing it via the camera or picking a file.  So I am curious if there is perhaps a permission setting on your iPad that needs to be granted.

If my understanding of the issue is correct, I have a few questions that. might help us get to the bottom of this:

• Where is the cropped image stored on your device?  Is it just in the normal Photos/Camera location? 
  • What permissions does the Jira App have on the device? 
  • What happens if you attempt to use the 'Take Photo' option to attach an image to an issue via the app?  I am curious if you will get a permission request.  

If I have misunderstood your issue please let me know.  

Best, 

Andy

Ian Overton May 20, 2022

Hi and thanks for the welcome Andy,

Yes, the image is stored in the Photos app.

All permissions for Jira are turned on.

I have no reason to ever take a photo using the Camera and attach that to Jira. All images will be screenshots.

Ian

Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2022

Thanks Ian!  I apologize I may have been unclear.  I wasn't noting that you would be using 'Take Photo' option as a solution, I was asking if you could that as a test.  I am curious if you see different behavior using the actual camera versus uploading a screenshot that is already stored on the device.  

Best, 

Andy

Ian Overton May 21, 2022

I performed the test, and taking a photo with the camera does result in the photo being included in the card. 

Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
May 23, 2022

Thanks Ian!  This is helpful to understand.  Can you tell me what specific permissions are enabled for Jira on your device?  

I have been trying to replicate the issue and haven't been able to so far. The fact the app can upload photos from the Camera interface implies the app is able to upload photos.  The fact the file in question can be uploaded via the browser seems to indicate that the file itself is okay.  So it seems for some reason that the mobile app is unable to access the file.  It can see it (which is why you have the option to select it) but it doesn't seem able to transmit it or pull into the mobile application. 

Do you also see the preview of the image in the mobile when you try to upload it?  Or does it just show the placeholder icon and then the 0 KB size in the lower corner of the placeholder? 

Best, 

Andy

Ian Overton May 23, 2022

Looking at Jira's permissions list in Settings shows the following:

Camera: on/off

Siri & Search: standard settings

Notifications: sounds, badges, banners, etc

Background App Refresh: on/off

So this indicates Jira doesn't currently ask permission to access Photos, which could be why it isn't uploading them.

Can't see a preview of the image on the app on the iPad. It just shows the placeholder.

Was able to see the image when using a browser to access the Jira board, even though I can't see it on the iPad the images were uploaded from, when using the Jira app.

Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
May 24, 2022

Thanks Ian!  This is very helpful information.  The Photos permissions are actually granted at the individual file level.  This is done so that Jira doesn't need access to all your photos, it limits it only to the photos you tell Jira it can access.  

So the permissions look to be okay at the app level as far as I can see.  I do have a few more questions (and I apologize, I know this has a lot of back and forth so far, these permission type issues can be tricky to track down, I appreciate your partnership here as we troubleshoot).

1. You noted that you cropped the screenshot, can you try to upload an image that isn't cropped as a test?  I don't think this would be in play, but I just want to rule it out 100%. 
  2. Would you be able to provide me each button you select in the upload process when the issue happens?  I just want make sure that I am not making any assumptions here the buttons that are clicked when trying to replicate/research. 
  3. Do you happen to have any other Apple devices you can test on?  Like an iPhone?  If you don't that is totally okay, I am just trying to gather a bit more evidence of a device issue to make sure we aren't heading in the wrong direction here.  Based on my testing since I cannot replicate it I suspect it is something device specific we need to track down.  This might also give another device we can compare with if it does not have the same issue.  

Best, 

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events