Upgrading from one Jira 7.4 blacklabelops Docker image to Jira 8.3x Atlassian Docker image

ROBERT BIEHL August 26, 2019

We are running Blacklabelops/Jira 7.4 and are wanting to upgrade to the New Atlassian Jira 8.3 Docker image. The server also has Nginx and Postgress 9.6.3 Docker images.  What is the best way to migrate the data? We are planning on running both images for a short while so we can test our migration and give users a chance to look at the new UI.

This is my first time dealing with Docker and  a Jira upgrade. Is there a doc or resource that will help walk me through this process or should I reach out to Atlassian?

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2019

Just to be safe side. Stop your existing Blacklabelops/Jira 7.4 docker image. Make sure you have a persistent JIRA home directory. 

Download 7.4 docker image from Atlassian if available and run it. Make sure everything works as expected. 

Now perform the upgrade by stopping 7.4 container and install 8.3 image. 

I have followed similar steps while moving bitbucket to docker. Everything worked great.

jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2019

There is no official documentation on how to migrate to docker. You can also try moving directly to 8.3 using Atlassian official docker image. I think it will take care of the upgrade. 

I just didn't want to deal with upgrade/migration at the same time. So used the above method. 

Looks like the lowest official Atlassian version is 8.0.x. 

jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2019

You are gonna have to deal with both upgrade/migration at same time then.

Yeah, since I could not find documentation I was hoping to install the 8.3.x version as a test, with its own home directory or a duplicate copy of our home directory and its own database and try the upgrade. That way our existing production is still intact until we work out the bugs. 

Thank you for the response. I will add this to our list of options.

jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2019

Will be curious to know how it goes :) 

I am currently upgrading to 8.2.4 without docker. I might move to docker for future upgrades

Suggest an answer