Upgraded to Jira 8.0.0 and windows service disappeared, then original install gone

Brian M February 12, 2019

I did the upgrade via the Core download for my server windows 64 bit.  I did the usual steps backed up the DB, then ran the upgrade after turning off the services for confluence and Jira Core.   The upgrade said it was successful and asked to start, I clicked yes then was asked to open in a browser.  This never happened.  it timed out.  I went to look if the service had started and when I refreshed the window the service disappeared, only the confluence server remained.  I tried to install again, and nothing happened.  I downloaded and tried to install service desk 4.0 and it ran through and errored out saying a file was in use so I quit the install since I could not find a file that may be in use.  I then went back to install Core and now it wants to install as a fresh install and says a previous installation does not exist. 

What the heck just happened?? 

I looked at restoring form my backups but is stated that the service would remain, but its gone.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2019

Hey Brian,

I'm sorry you had trouble with Jira's Windows Service disappearing after doing an 8.0.0 upgrade. This is a known issue and tracked in JRASERVER-68865. I hope you were able to get Jira running manually after your upgrade.

Going forward, this issue has been fixed in Jira 8.0.1 / Service Desk 4.0.1 which were released this morning. If you are still having issues with the service not running, an upgrade from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1 (or Service Desk 4.0.0 to 4.0.1) should reinstall the service for you.

The latest releases are available here:

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Brian M February 20, 2019

Yes I was able to get it restored back to 7.13 using your online Docs, thank you.  The only hurdle I had was trying to figure out the difference between the Home directory and the installation directory on my server, mainly because its been probably 3 years since I did a full install, since then it has been just upgrades via the windows installer.  So I had to do some searching to figure out which folder was which, but got that all worked out and it is up and running fine.  I will try the upgrade to Ver. 8 when I have some time to do it, and then roll back again if something unforeseen happens.

Thank you.

1 vote
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2019

Check this other thread. Sounds like a similar issue.

Suggest an answer