Upgrade MySQL from 5.7.29 to 8.0.29

Samson Lin July 18, 2022

We are using Jira Software 8.7.1 with MySQL 5.7.29.  Now we are trying to upgrade Jira Software to 8.20.10 and we want to upgrade db as well to MySQL 8.0.29.

On MySQL 5.7.29, I have the following my.cnf setup.  Some parameters were recommended by previous Jira release/upgrade notes.  Here below are those parameters:

explicit_defaults_for_timestamp=1
default-storage-engine=INNODB
character_set_server=utf8mb4
innodb_default_row_format=DYNAMIC
innodb_large_prefix=ON
innodb_file_format=Barracuda
max_allowed_packet=256M
innodb_log_file_size=2G
sql_mode=NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES

I already found that the existing parameter, innodb_large_prefix=ON, was reported as error when starting up MySQL 8.0.29.

[Server] unknown variable 'innodb_large_prefix=ON'

Are all those db parameters still fit for MySQL 8.0.29?   Or I don't need to keep them all for the new Jira Software version 8.20.10?

3 answers

4 votes
JBennett April 7, 2023

Are there any instructions for upgrading MySQL from 5.7 to 8.x? 

Thanks. 

0 votes
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2022

Hey @Samson Lin 

Given Jira 8.20 supports MySQL 5.7 ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver0820/supported-platforms-1095776511.html  ), I'd recommend splitting the upgrade tasks. Upgrade Jira to 8.20.10 keeping MySQL 5.7.29 - let that change "soak" for a few weeks before moving on to the MySQL upgrade. If you have any issues post upgrade, you know whether it's application or database version related instead of making two large changes in a single window and losing that awareness.

For the MySQL 5.7 to 8.x change, a list of deprecated options can be found  at https://dev.mysql.com/doc/relnotes/mysql/8.0/en/news-8-0-0.html#mysqld-8-0-0-deprecation-removalinnodb_file_format being one of them

CCM

0 votes
Samson Lin July 18, 2022

Another invalid parameter:

[ERROR] [MY-000067] [Server] unknown variable 'innodb_file_format=Barracuda'.

[ERROR] [MY-010119] [Server] Aborting

Suggest an answer