• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Upgrade Jira from old 6.1

Hello.

We are using an old self-hosted Jira installation v6.1.7 (which works fine, btw) with Agile and some other few plugins and have reached 50 user license limit. So now we want to upgrade our license to 100 users and will probably have to upgrade Jira itself to the latest version.

As we understood it should look something like 6.1 -> 6.4 -> 7.0 -> 8.x

Or 6.1.7 -> 7.0.11 -> 8.x (as suggested in some topic)

So my questions are:

1. What the full correct update chain would look like?

2. Where can we find packages for all these intermediate versions?

Thanks.

P.S.: We don't want to migrate to cloud yet

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I would not bother with the second suggestion - 6.1 to 7.0 is theoretically ok, but of around 30 attempts to do 6.2 or lower directly to 7.0, I've had a 100% failure rate. 

Take your 6.1 to 6.4 first - that is a moderately painless upgrade.  6.4 to 7.0 is not painless, but it's a fraction of the pain you'll feel trying to jump from 6.2-

The other thing you have missed completely here is 7.0 -> 8.x

Do not try that either.  Again, it's theoretically possible.  In reality, it's a nightmare to go from anything below 7.8 to 8.x.  Please add 7.0 to 7.13 into your plan

So the main goal is to upgrade to to the latest major release for each version... ok

But i still can't find archives for version 7.x

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/download-archives

There's only 6.4.14...

Anyway thanks a lot for your help

Ah, yes, Atlassian have fragmented their download archives, which is a bit annoying frankly.  For some reason I've never seen explained, they have

Long-term-support and latest on one page, at https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/download.  That makes perfect sense to me - new people will want one of those two, and grizzled veterans like me have...

.... the option for the "older versions" link under "latest release" does what it says - gives you a list of older versions.

But, frustratingly, that (at the time I am writing this) only offers 8.x and 7.x in the expansion lists. 

If it were up to me, I'd list every version right the way back to 1, in one place, just for completeness and simplicity.  Even if I grudgingly admit that it's nice to keep that simple, my current experience is that there are still a lot of people on Jira 6.x, so that should be immediately available, just for those of us picking up "please upgrade" projects!   (Frankly though, there's even more people on 3.x - I get asked for help with that almost weekly.  Of course, I point out they're unsupportable,

the option for the "older versions" link under "latest release" does what it says - gives you a list of older versions.

didn't notice that link

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll try to perform upgrade soon

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you