Upgrade Jira 6.1 to 7.13

tothjozsef April 2, 2019

We'd like to upgrade our Jira 6.1.6 to something recent, like 7.13.2 (8 seems a bit too early..) - whats the recommended upgrade path? I read  two: upgrade to 6.4 first, then to 7.13, or upgrade to 7.0 then further. Which one is the best, or maybe a third option is the way?

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2019

Hi @tothjozsef ,

The suggestions sound just about right.

6.1 -> 6.4 (Upgrade all plugins here).

6.4 -> 7.0 (Upgrade all plugins here again) - Also if you ever had JIRA Service Desk installed, please consider installing an evaluation version of the add-on here as there are know issues when upgrading past 7.0.10 and JIRA Service desk 3.x

7 -> 7.13.2 (This should be fine to my knowledge, though I may make a stop gap at 7.5 again as well because there are too many minor jumps).

Importantly, I would like to suggest reading the release and upgrade notes of all version in between versions you are upgrading to so you have an idea if there are any major things to watch out for. This way you are not caught by surprise. Also take a backup of the latest version you successfully upgrade to each time to avoid re-starting each time.

Hope this helps.

tothjozsef April 3, 2019

its strange I did not find any Atlassian docs which says you need to upgrade to 6.4.

The 7.13 upgrade notes say ' You must first upgrade to Jira 7.0 (we recommend the latest bugfix release, in this case 7.0.11) before upgrading to later versions.' - but I'll follow your suggestion.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2019

You need to go from 6.1 to 6.4 to 7.0 to 7.target.  Do not skip either intermediates step, there are a lot of known problems (for example, priority settings break if you go to anything above 7.0 from 6.anything)

0 votes
tothjozsef April 2, 2019

Thanks, this  will take some  work :)

One more question: what if we're using Oracle 11g now, and target DB is 12c  or Postgres (not decided yet)? Is it viable this way ? :

- upgrade to 6.4 - still on 11g

- export data to xml

- install 7.0, target new db, import data

- upgrade to 7.13.2 (or 7.5 between then 7.13.2) on new db?

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2019

Yes it should be viable.

* I do remember there was a problem with Oracle with one of the 7.0 versions so please check this as well.

Suggest an answer