Upgrade JIRA without access to Backend (License issue)

P July 16, 2015

Hello,

since our JIRA doesnt run so well and the support suggested a upgrade to the newest JIRA version (we run 6.0.1) I finally have to "GO" from my boss to look into it some more.

Anyway, since our JIRA rarely answers any requests coming from a browser (issues can not be loaded or it takes ages etc.) it finally hit our JIRA backend. Yay!

Well, not so much..

As I'm in the task to evaluate the upgrade process of our JIRA instance to 

a) a newer version and

b) to a newer server

I wish to enter the backend to see my license information. We struggle with the decision to either buy a renewal license or simply get a completely new license, as its cheaper than a renewal in terms of costs.

So my question is:

1) Is it okay to buy a completely fresh license and use it on a old JIRA version to upgrade it, or is it even possible?

2) How may I set new license information if I dont have access to the current backend on the current server.

Do I have to first get all files needed for JIRA to the new server, install the "old" JIRA version there, import all our stuff and then upgrade (with what license?) to a newer JIRA version?

I've done the following (some months ago) to see if the new server is fit enough for JIRA:

Install a completely new JIRA version (the latest back then was 6.4), imported all our stuff and enabled the evaluation mode for that JIRA instance (to see if its running smoothly).

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2015

Version 6.0 is pretty nippy, you're not going to see huge improvements by just upgrading to 6.4.  You should look at why everything is so slow, as 6.4 is going to have the same blockers.

I'm not sure why you're asking about a "back end" either, JIRA doesn't have a front-end/back-end architecture, it's just there as a service, responding to requests.  To apply a new licence, log in as an administrator and paste the new key into the licence box in the licence information screen.

You will need full root access to the new server to install and upgrade.  The big question about your licence is when it expires.  If the current one is still valid, you will be able to upgrade using the same licence, it covers "all versions from 4.0 to current"

P July 16, 2015

"To apply a new licence, log in as an administrator and paste the new key into the licence box in the licence information screen." OK, then I meant the screen a administrator has, including creating users etc. This is where I cannot get into (because it doesnt respond etc.) I have root access to all servers mentioned here. Our current license is not valid anymore, therefore its either a renewal license or a "fresh" license. It comes down to the costs, whether I'm not sure if thats legit or even possible (eg. the old license is somewhere hardcoded to the "old license" and it wont let me enter a completely "fresh license".

P July 16, 2015

I now have the "go" to simply purchase the renewal package which would cost us 80USD instead of 20USD.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2015

Yes, a renewal will be better. You will be able to use that on both old and new servers. But if it's too slow to get to the admin screens, you've got much bigger problems. You *must* fix that first, and just upgrading is NOT going to do it.

Suggest an answer