Upgrade JIRA with Ansible?

It looks like you can do an unattended install of JIRA, but I don't see a method to do an unattended upgrade?

Specifically my Ansible role currently has to download the latest .bin installer...and quit. I then have to log manually into the server to run the upgrade, I would much prefer Ansible to complete the upgrade on its own without my human fallibility!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 votes
Thomas Deiler Community Champion Feb 01, 2018

Dear @jmo,

I totally understand your needs. I was same once in the situation to make upgrades more comfortable. So I did this with several RPMs.

It work somehow little bit better, but not unattended. In the end I stopped it.

My recommendation is not to do this with Ansible or any other tool, if data integrity is very important for you (several hundred serious users). There are so many pitfalls, that can make your life harder than upgrading manually. To name some:

• plugins, that need to be installed via UPM and not just copied inside the plugin directory
  • dependencies to Jira (other linked Apps) that are not notified
  • extra installation steps for specific versions
  • config files that change, where patches cannot be applied

So long

Thomas

Thomas Deiler Community Champion Feb 05, 2018

Dear @jmo,

was my answer fine enough to be also "accepted"?

Many Thanks

Thomas

Yes thanks for this detailed answer Thomas, I'm glad someone has at least tried to work around Atlassian's limitations. Basically the headaches to upgrading manually (updating multiple config files in multiple places, for ex) pale in comparison to the headaches for trying to upgrade automatically.

Ultimately it looks like this is a shortcoming of JIRA, and an example of the incongruities of how apps in the Atlassian suite are installed/updated/maintained. For example Bamboo, Confluence, Crowd and more can have their installations/updates automated, but not JIRA. It would be nice if all the apps in the suite were designed by be administered the same way.

Thomas Deiler Community Champion Feb 05, 2018

Very true. Probably once Atlassian will pick up your suggestion and realize it. Who knows ...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,129 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot