Updating Workflow/status by uploading CSV file

sricharan.narayanam April 17, 2020

Hi, When i am trying to update the ticket workflow/Status by importing CSV file, a new ticket is being generated. Where as i want to make updates to the same ticket. 

1. Cannt we make changes to the workflow/Status by importing CSV file?

2. When i try to update the status, i dont have the option to map it "Status" as you can see below. The "Task Status" is different from "Status". So, i try to map it to Workflow & proceed ahead but a new ticket is created. 

3. I also tried using "Key" as its a unique entity to edit the status, but didnt work. 

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 00.51.27.png

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2020

Hello @sricharan.narayanam

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Per your description, I understand you are basically facing two problems: 

1. Instead of updating the desired issues when importing your CSV, the import client is creating new issues in your site
  2. You are not being able to map the status of the issues in the CSV

Can you please confirm if you are using a Classic or Next-gen project? There are different behaviors for each project type when import CSV files.

Anyway, allow me to bring you some common details and concepts for both project types so we can confirm we are on the same page here:

The updating of new issues through CSV happens when you map the correct issue key in your CSV file to match the existing issues of your site, as described in the documentation below:

Matching Exported Issue Data to Update JIRA Projects with JIRA Importers Plugin 

Basically, the easiest way to update existing issues in your site would be following the steps below:

1. Create a JQL filter returning all the issues you want to update and export it, using the option "Export to Excel (All fields)":
    Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 18.16.08.png
  2. Edit the fields you want and import the same CSV file back to your Jira (Using the option under Jira Settings > System > External System import), keeping the Issue Key field untouched

About the status field not appearing to be mapped, I see you have several custom fields with the word "Status" that by default appear at the top of the drop-down, so maybe the correct status field must be at the end of the list. Can you please check if you can scroll down to it? 

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 17.27.32.png

Also, check if you are using the import option under Jira Settings > System > External System import. P.S: This option is only available for Site-Admins.

If the instructions above didn't help, please provide us more details about the results you got and what project template you are currently using (Next-gen or Classic).

Suggest an answer