Updating Issue's sprint: Finding a string Value in Webhook response

Kaysaff Tal April 14, 2023

Preview

after reading many wonderful post here, i decide to share my solution to the problem of assigning Story to a specific sprint (not 'Next') enhance by cloning the story and moving all Sub tasks that are not in StatusCategory Done 

Rule Trigger: A comment in the main comment ' Split: [Sprint_Name'

Strategy:

1. Parse Latest comment and find the Sprint Name (why name?!, as the team leader          see it, I didn't want to update the rule for every Sprint ID)

image.png

2. Setting a variable (and a log) for capturing the the Comment

image.png

3. one last tweak for preatify

image.png

And I have the Assigned sprint name in a variable to use later.

4. After much research, i saw no solution how to get Sprint ID according to name, basically I was lookin for get SprintI D by Sprint Name logic.

I solved the problem by adding a web request to an End point in Jira

after playing with Postman for a couple of minutes(authentication mainly - ended up using basic. I am a Jira admin so creating API key was easy), the GET was complete and legitimate response.

BOARD ID is visible in the board public url  - making this dynamic will be the next phase for now it will be hard coded

image.png

I validated the response (also in Postman) and on to Phase 3... extract the Key-value for sprintName and Sprint ID

3. Parsing the Web response is where i got stuck for 2 days. read every documentation on smart value and lists - didn't understand it. smart values and JSON didn't help

and I assume Some one can help me here, because i dont have a plan. 

after cleaning a bit in VS code

image.png

What is need is how to look for a string: Sprint_2_id within the web response, and get the matching sprint name (sprint names are unique between board)

Any on can help??

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sebastian Mondry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2023

Hi there,

Great work so far :) !

You can indeed achieve what you're after. 
So, after you've fired the Webhook, create a New Branch component and select Advanced Branching. 
For the Smart value, provide {{webResponse.body.<name of attribute containing the list>}} and assign it a variable name, such as Sprint. 

Then, create an Advanced compare condition, whereby;
First value: {{Sprint.id}} 
Condition: equals
Second value: "sprint_2_Id"

Then, you can access all required Sprint names, e.g. Log Action {{Sprint.name}}.
Hope that helps ~

Kaysaff Tal April 27, 2023

@Sebastian Mondry Amazing, thanks for ur help. 

II see a lot of people struggling with the issue i managed to solve any particular forum to share the initial problem and solutions? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events