Updating Flag values

Francis_Pelland January 13, 2020

Is there a way where we can update the values for FLAGGED? Currently that field is showing LOCKED for us, which means that the default value that is being selected for Flagged is "FALSE", which is confusing.  At the very least, if we can remove that option and have it select "Impediment", it would make a world of a change.

2 answers

0 votes
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Hello @Francis_Pelland

I can confirm. The flagged field is a 'locked' system field. Consider it's value options to be only boolean: ON/OFF

I have 2 values for Flagged.

1. FALSE
  2. Impediment

The FALSE value is highly confusing, since any time someone adds a flag, that is the option that is used. Our views when they show whether something is flagged, it shows either "" (blank) or FALSE.

At the very least if we cannot remove FALSE as a value, how can we make it so that "Impediment" is selected when a user flags a ticket?

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Can you share a screenshot of the config page of that field where you see the value LOCKED.

Also, a screenshot of the view where a flagged issue shows 'Our views when they show whether something is flagged, it shows either "" (blank) or FALSE'. 

Looking into this, I see the following:

• New issue view: red flag
  • Old issue view: Flagged field with the value empty or 'Impediment' (as shown in the attached image

image.png

Francis_Pelland January 14, 2020

Here we go, this is what I am seeing in the custom field view:Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 8.27.21 AM.png

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 14, 2020

Hello again @Francis_Pelland

Indeed, this configuration is fixed in Jira as a system field level and cannot be modified. However, looking back on our conversation, when a users flag an issue the value should be set to Impediment. If this is not the case, then you are experiencing a bug and I'd recommend you open a support ticket: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/

Like Francis_Pelland likes this
Francis_Pelland January 15, 2020

Thanks @Fernando Bordallo , I submitted a bug the other day, since it isn't showing Impediment. Appreciate the help!

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
0 votes
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

Hi @Francis_Pelland - Some fields in Jira are marked as LOCKED to prevent changed to the field that could accidentally break the way Jira works. This often happens with plugins where certain custom fields are crucial. This seems to be the case with the Flagged field.

For this, I am either looking to remove the FALSE value or have it use Impediment when a flag is added to the ticket. 

Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

Hi @Francis_Pelland - I'm not really sure what to make of that. The Flagged field should only have one value, Impediment. And given that the field is locked, I don't know how other values could be added to it. Do you know of any Marketplace Apps installed on your Jira that could have added the value?

I wouldn't know which one could have added that, only have 4 apps installed and they are all by Atlassian:

• GitHub
  • JavaScript Charts for JIRA Cloud
  • JIRA Toolkit Plugin
  • Rich Text Gadget

Any thoughts on how that "FALSE" value can be removed?

Like Kevin Bui likes this
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

Hi @Francis_Pelland

Any thoughts on how that "FALSE" value can be removed?

I wish I could be more helpful, but the only thing I can recommend is contacting Atlassian Support, who will be able to take a closer look at your Jira Cloud instance. There's no way to configure locked fields, so I'm not sure what else you can do.

Suggest an answer