Updated Exchange Certificate now Incoming Mail no longer works

Troy Pawleska October 14, 2019

We updated out Exchange Server Certificate on friday and now the incoming mail handler no longer works. I get the following error:

Unfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below and rectify:

• SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

I tried to use portecle and import the new cert into Java but this did nothing.

3 answers

0 votes
Troy Pawleska October 16, 2019

So I added it to the cacerts file because I found several articles on that but it's still not working, I found the cacerts file in 2 locations so put it in both. 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_221\lib\security\cacerts

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\lib\security\cacerts

Am i putting it in the wrong location? How can I point Jira/Java to these cacerts files?

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2019

Hi @Troy_Pawleska ,

You have to add the certificate  to the Jira keystore. Usally jira uses the keystore of the java that is coming with jira and is located here : $JAVA_HOME/lib/security/cacerts , password is changeit 

Here is also an related kb article https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/how-to-import-a-public-ssl-certificate-into-a-jvm-867025849.html

0 votes
Troy Pawleska October 14, 2019

I guess the real question is where are the certs stored I just need to update the cert

Suggest an answer