Update has changed Collation and Ctype of old database

Jon Taylor November 8, 2019

I ran an update of all atlassian products we have installed, and for some reason, the service desk and jira-core DBs are now reflecting a C Collatation and Ctype to C. Why would this happen during an upgrade?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2019

Hi Jon,

If I understand the situation here, you recently upgrade your Jira application and the database appears to have changed the collation. 

I have not encountered the behavior you have described here, but I would like to try to learn more about your environment in order to better understand this situation.  Could you please let me know

1. What database type/version are you using here?  (Examples, such as Postgres 9.6.x, or MySQL 5.7.x, etc)
  2. What version of Jira did you upgrade from?  and which did you just upgrade to?
  3. What was the collation before this upgrade?

I suspect you're using a postgresql database, in which case the C collation is a supported collation for that database type (as is POSIX).   In some past versions of Jira, we were not enforcing collation checks of the database itself.  This lead to many administrators that setup the database collation in an unsupported format and in turn can potentially lead to data not being stored in a manner that is expected for Jira / SQL.   Back in the Jira 7.x releases, we started rolling out a healthcheck plugin that is bundled with Jira to look for database collations that don't match the supported platforms and then try to highlight these to administrators to better make them aware of this difference.

I'd be interested to see if perhaps you are getting a healthcheck warning after this upgrade.  If so, maybe grab a screenshot of that and post it here.  If that is not the case, could you let me know a bit more about why this collation change might be a problem here for you.

Thanks

Andy

Suggest an answer