Update custom field using jira-python

Chris Kast September 21, 2014

We're in the process of migrating from Bugzilla to JIRA. In our Bugzilla instance, we have a custom drop-down field that lists a bunch of versions. That gets imported fine but as a JIRA custom drop-down. What I'd like to do, for each issue, is that the value of custom drop-down and put it in a new "version picker" custom field. I'm trying to use the jira-python client to do this but running into problem. See the code below. it doesn't error out when I do this but it's not updating the new version picker field. Any thoughts?

jira = JIRA({'server': DEFAULT_JIRA_SERVER}, basic_auth=(DEFAULT_JIRA_USER, DEFAULT_JIRA_PASS))

issues_to_mod = jira.search_issues('filter=filter_alerts', maxResults=200)

print 'Will update', str(len(issues_to_mod)), 'issues.'

for issue in issues_to_mod:
	old_fixed_version = issue.fields.customfield_10105
	old_fixed_version_string = str(old_fixed_version[0])
	print 'Updating issue', issue, 'with value', old_fixed_version_string
	issue.update(fields={'customfield_10400': {'value': old_fixed_version_string}})

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Kast September 29, 2014

Huzzah!! My original code sample was correct except for one word: "value" needed to be replaced with "name". So the correct code is:

jira = JIRA({'server': DEFAULT_JIRA_SERVER}, basic_auth=(DEFAULT_JIRA_USER, DEFAULT_JIRA_PASS))

issues_to_mod = jira.search_issues('filter=filter_alerts', maxResults=200)

print 'Will update', str(len(issues_to_mod)), 'issues.'

for issue in issues_to_mod:
    old_fixed_version = issue.fields.customfield_10105
    old_fixed_version_string = str(old_fixed_version[0])
    print 'Updating issue', issue, 'with value', old_fixed_version_string
    issue.update(fields={'customfield_10400': {'name': old_fixed_version_string}})

For those who care, I figured it out by looking at the REST examples here. Each custom field type has a specific data structure. In the case of version-picker fields, the value can be referenced by either the version "name" or "id".

Andrei [errno]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2016

for user-selector custom fields, with their username:

issue.update(fields={'customfield_10000': {'name': userid}})
mika nokka October 1, 2018

Thanks! I was totally lost with "how to set Multiselect" custom field using Python Jira.

I had a look the REST examples you pointed and found a solution (setting Multiselect requires data in array)

like this

issue.update(fields={'customfield_10007': [{'value':'035M'}]})

Like # people like this
1 vote
Chris Kast September 29, 2014

Ping...

Anyone? It's frustrating because the code "works" in the sense that it exits with 0. It's just the field is not getting updated.

0 votes
kz1212 October 9, 2017

can we use this method to edit comment?

0 votes
thierry mallard October 24, 2014

Hi,

Sorry for late answer.

Don't you need  to create version object using jira.create_version()? That is what needs to be done when using JIRA from browser.

BR

Chris Kast October 24, 2014

Thanks, Thierry. I got it figured out (see above). To answer your question, we shouldn't need to create a version object since it's already there (the versions were imported as a part of the BZ import process). What I'm doing here is basically converting that object name (the version) into a string and then assigning that string as a value to the custom field.

Suggest an answer