Update Status of 'Main' Issue depending on Status(es) of Linked Issues (NOT subtasks)

Luke March 22, 2023

Hi, I am trying (so far in vein) to create some automation logic to do the following: 

I have 5 Statuses but only some are relevant:

• Backlog
  • To Do
  • In Progress
  • Ready to Deploy
  • Done

When an Issue with a given Status (let's call it 'Main Issue') has (any) Linked Issues, then update the Main Issue Status according to the Status(es) of Linked Issues. 

Somewhat like the logic for subtasks (or checklists within Issues, or Epics with Child Issues), except (for complex reasons) it cannot be subtasks or Epics etc.

For example I need to create logic so that: 

• If any Linked Issue is In Progress OR Ready to Deploy then set Main Issue to In Progress 
  • If ALL Linked Issues are Done then set Main Issue to Done
  • If ALL Linked Issues are Backlog OR To Do then set Main Issue to To Do

Main things to note are:

• Never need to automatically set Main Issue to Backlog or Done or Ready to Deploy
  • Presumably I would need to separate Main Issues with e.g. an issue Type (otherwise there could be circular logic where what is the Main Issue is not clear as multiple Issues are interlinked!) 

Any tips/guidance would be much appreciated! 

1 answer

0 votes
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2023

The solution to this is to use the "Related Issues" condition to determine whether there are issues that match (or don't match) your specific condition. Create an If/Else condition and then use the "Related Issues" to see whether there are Some or All linked issues are in the status. In the picture below, I have said that if ANY linked issue matches the JQL of "status in (In Progress, Ready to Deploy)" then transition the trigger issue to In Progress. Do the same for your other conditions

2023-03-22_09-19-29.png

Hope this helps.

Luke April 19, 2023

Hi Derek, thanks so much for your answer. Forgive my late response, for some reason emails went into spam. This is a great starting point for me! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events