Upcoming AMA with Syed Masood, JSW Principal Product Manager, on all things Jira 8.0 Edited

Syed Masood Atlassian Team Monday

syed2.jpg

Hello, Atlassian Community! 

My name is Syed Masood, and I am a Principal Product Manager for Jira Software and Data Center. Jira Software 8.0 is here–– and I know you have questions. I'm looking forward to answering all of them (and getting to know you all) during our upcoming "ask me anything" or AMA event!

Join me on Wednesday, February 20th from 8:00-10:00 am PST for this exciting, live AMA event.

Start submitting and upvoting questions now below (yes, it says answers 😊) I’ll be back to answer your questions live on February 20th!

Whether you’ve got questions about planning your upgrade to 8.0, want to hear more behind-the-scenes details about planning the release, or anything else - we’re here to chat! Check out the Jira 8.0 announcement blog for more info. 

Talk soon,

Syed

16 answers

9 votes
Meg Holbrook Community Champion Monday

Hi Syed! I'd love to hear about how the Atlassian team is making upgrades easier for users. I know you all have done a lot in the last year to make this process smoother - but I'm curious to hear about the next steps. 

I know there was discussion about more 'smart upgrade' functionality. 

7 votes
Danny Harris Community Champion Wednesday

Hi @Syed Masood,

Going forward, what improvements have been made to streamline the upgrade process for Jira server and its add-ons?

Thanks for your time 

Hi Syed,

Why does Atlassian seem to push story points versus time estimates rather than allowing choice?

(For example Kanban boards don't do time tracking and the 'new look' Jira puts story points into the form for issues even when they're not in the screen they're derived from.)

Hi Syed,

the project archiving feature is currently for Data center only.
Would you consider bringing this feature to Jira server, too?

I'm asking because server are of course limited to one instance only. Therefore, reducing index size by removing projects and their issues / comments from the index would greatly help us server customers :)

One more thing:

Why is the release version '8.0.0.release'? This there any reason behind the '.release' or is this a bug?

Cheers,
Patrice

Hi! 

Is there any plan to prioritize and actively work on this soon? The public issue is 

When cloning an Epic, add the option to clone the linked Stories as well

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-7721

It was created in February 2013, and at last count, has 170 comments. The comments are updated/added to regularly; the last one was yesterday.

There is obviously a critical need for this feature and I'm seeing a lot of frustration in the comments thread, which I share. 

A lot of us work with boilerplate epics/stories that are repeated ad infinitum, and it's an *incredible* pain to create them manually. 

Thanks,

Paula 

I vote for this!!!

4 votes
Rachna Soni I'm New Here Wednesday

Hi Syed, We use JIRA extensively and I am currently exploring Next Gen project for few teams. Few questions:

1. What things to keep in mind when migrating classic project to Next Gen project?

2. What kind of reporting is available in next Gen project? We record Burn down, Cycle tiem and velocity. is it available? 

3. Is Next Gen project release is stable enough to migrate? I am bit worried incase there are major bugs. We follow Scrum and we have few boards with parallel enabled sprints.

4. How to configure roadmap board so that the highest priority epic shows up on the top? Something like Group by- Epic (available), and highest priority first (not available I guess).

Thanks

Hi Syed, I'd like to hear how to download or view resource level activities added in Calender? I mean lets say one person has added all his holiday and training acvtivities in a calender. How to see all of his item for a month / year, in list view or text should be fine.

3 votes
Jodie Leonard I'm New Here Tuesday

Hi Syed

There was an update this past weekend that has changed our views. There is a button to click 'see the old view' but it is not staying and reverts back. This is causing us issues. Is there a way to make the old view stay or something that gives us the option to choose which view works best for us? 

Hey Jodie,

It's funny you ask; I was able to figure this out last week. Saved my team the re-occurring headache.

1. From your Jira homepage, you can click on your icon on the bottom left and then click on "Personal settings".
  2. In personal settings, scroll all the way down to the bottom. You'll see "Jira labs". Beneath that, you should see something like "New Jira issue view for software projects". Even if it looks like it's been turned off, it's on by default (which bothers me and others at my company). 
  3. Click the button ON (green checkmark appears) and then OFF again (gray X appears). The new view should now be turned off, defaulting to the old view. Each user will need to do this themselves, as it's controlled by their own respective personal settings.

Follow up question: Is there a way we can keep the old view for years to come? Doesn't seem like many people on the forums have anything good to say about the new view. 

Like 1 person likes this

Hi!

i hope you can help.

Does the standard burndown chart show sub task and parent story points added together? I think it double counts parents and children- please confirm

@Syed Masood Is there an option to track the "Time Spent" in a Status for issues that belong to JIRA Software projects? We got this requirement from many teams but we could not have an in built option till now. Some sort of SLAs for Software Projects.

Hello Syed,

My question here is since Atlassian is growing in it's space. I have been an Admin for JIRA, Confluence and Bitbucket past more than 8 years now.

I would like to know how one can best prepare for Certification? I know there is Atlassian Documents but certification questions are most likely Scenario based and answers could be multiple while making selection.

I have attempted one but fallen short of some percentage and would be taking this test again, before I go out now would be better than before.

Your suggestions would be really appreciated.

Best,
Akash

0 votes
rolejnic I'm New Here 4 hours ago

When will the view of issues be updated so that we could see activity, history, logged hours etc... rather then needing to switch to the classic view?

0 votes
rolejnic I'm New Here 4 hours ago

How can we get a report by resource as to their time logged in a particular time period?  trying to determine how many hours team members are allocating to each project.

0 votes
Bryan Trummer Community Champion 2 hours ago

Hi Syed - My question may go along here with a few others that people are asking.

• What plans are there to make the upgrade process a little smoother for Data Center upgrades especially the plugins?
  • It seems that the Plugin Manager is updated constantly and more often plugins that were data center certified are now not certified, thus making the testing of those plugins even more strenuous. 

When is Jira going to address the disparity between the metaphors (Task is an Issue at the same level as "Story", but "Sub-tasks" of a "Story" cannot be reported upon with progress reports). What???

Here...you want a suggestion for how it should work.....look at this..

;tldr

Either you make the "Story" Swimline view, which groups by sub-tasks, also supported in the reports where your burn-up and burn-down show progress by "sub-task" (whereas right now you only show progress by "Story" or by "Issue").

Or....

You support a view for the Active Sprint to allow groups by Story with all "Relates to" links (i.e. Issues) pointing AT THAT STORY, categorized underneath it.

Fix this...and it will be INFINITELY more aligned with how the vast majority of Scrum Teams use their Scrum (Kanban) Board. 

Long version

What if you aren't using SUB-TASKS, because the Burn-Up reports don't report completed Sub-tasks as "completion" (which if it was working the way it SHOULD, it WOULD)?

How would one do that.

Story

^^

||

|| Relates to

||

\==== Task

||

\==== Task

How do we monitor progress when Jira operates so illogically in this regard?

If you're going to have Swimlanes to monitor Story progress by viewing Sub-tasks in the active Sprint, then support reporting the Burn-down or Burn-up via counting sub-tasks. 

Hi Syed,

I understand Jira uses resources more efficiently in Jira 8. Currently we're performing a nightly bounce and reindex. Is this still necessary? Do you have any recommendations on a maintenance schedule?

I'm not sure that has ever been necessary, if the Jira server is set up correctly

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Wednesday in Jira

Make your Atlassian Cloud products more secure: our NEW admin security guide

Hey admins! I’m Dave, Principal Product Manager here at Atlassian working on our cloud platform and security products. Cloud security is a moving target. As you adopt more products, employees consta...

45 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you