Unresolved status

Ryan O Sullivan November 17, 2013

why are issues issues with a resolution of Unresolved not returned in queries when searching by status?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2013

Resolution and Status are separate things.

Status is where an issue is in the workflow.

Resolution is a field which holds a reason for tagging an issue as done.

If your query really is just "status = X", then you should get issues irrespective of resolution.

Hi Nic, the unresolved field and it's behaviour is one of the few things that really doesn't work in how we use the product, I have worked around it up to now, we track by status primariily and resolution afterwards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2013

You're not alone, the overwhelming majority of people see Status as the important thing. Personally, I don't think the implementation of resolution in Jira is correct at all (it should be done with flags or meta-status including the workflow status, and the resolution field is just a simple "why" field. In my opinion)

Some people almost entirely bin the resolution, but removing it completely doesn't quite work because you lose the "resolved/unresolved" thing.

The closest I get is to remove the field from screens, and then use post-functions to set/unset it as part of the workflow. That way, it's all handled for the users, and appears to work without them interfering.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

A resolution is not a status. Or are you searching by resolution?

If so, and you want to search for unresolved issues you would need to use the query

... and resolution is empty

Thanks, we use the resoltuion field with numerous values. Unresolved seems to be a special state.

On creation of an issue the state is open unresolved , we hide the resolution field during creation but it is mandatory on subsequent workflow transitions

I will follow up with the users here to ensure that their concerns are met.

Thanks for the quick resonse

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

Glad we could help. As I said the resolution unsresolved represents an empty resolution (in the database null), so if you need to search for it use the above query.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2013

A couple of extra notes about the resolution field - you have it set up correctly at the moment, but...

1. Be careful not to put the resolution field on any screen other than transitions where it should be set (or updated). Bascially, if you put it on a screen, then it will be set to a value because the field does not allow you to select "none".

2. Some people add resolutions like "unresolved" to the list. Do not do this, it breaks Jira. Jira simply considers ANY resolution value as "resolved", even if the text of it is "unresolved". If there's something in the field, the issue is done with, and Jira strikes it out and ignores it in loads of places.

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2013

Can you provide an example?

Suggest an answer