Unlink Story from Epic

Deleted user November 21, 2013

Is there a way to remove a story that was created within an Epic? I would like the story to still exists but is just not be included in that epic anymore. Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2013

Hi Kelsey,

Simply edit the Epic Link field and set it to empty in your Story.

That should do it.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks for the response, Peter! Strangely enough, the Epic Link field in the Story is already blank (it was actually never populated). And I am not familiar with using a scrum board...

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2013

Hi Kelsey,

Are you currently using the Jira Agile or Greenhopper (old version) plugin?

Or are your Epics defined any other way?

How are you currently managing Stories and Epics?

Best regards,

Peter

I am not sure :), I have both "Agile" and "Greenhopper Help" links available under the dropdown under my name. We have not used boards besides dashboards, and we created the epic via the dashboard and then the issues from within that.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2013

Could you post a full screenshot of your Epic and all the stories that are linked to that Epic? And indicate which story you want to remove from the Epic?

I don't want to give you wrong advice based on my own assumptions, a screenshot would probably clear certain things up.

Best regards,

Peter

I've tried posting it a few times... will keep at it!

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2013

Hi Kelsey,

I got your screenshot.

So your Stories are linked to your Epic through an issue link.

Do you have any options if you hover over the Stories in the Epic issue? (does it show a cog icon on the left? ) Or even a trashcan icon?

Best regards,

Peter

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2013

if it doesn't work, just send it to peter.vandevoorde at gmail dot com

Yes, a trashcan shows up on the far right of the story line

Thanks Peter! I was hesitant to try clicking the trashcan, but that worked!

Best,

Kelsey

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2013

Super :)

Could you please accept my answer?

This will signal that your question has been answered

Best regards,

Peter

Robi May 10, 2021

+1 but not doable on the MacOS app though.

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2013

You can do this easily in the planning view of your scrum board.

Simply select the story in your backlog so you see the issue detail view on the right side of the page, go to the Epic Link field and click on the x next to the Epic name.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Zack Lewis March 1, 2021

Using the next-gen project board:

If you have an issue assigned to an Epic, Go to the Issue you want to remove, click the [...] button for actions in the top right, and click "Change Parent".

From there you'll be able to select "Remove" from the dropdown menu.

Jasmine Raja June 11, 2021

Thank you, this helped. 

Is there a way to do the same in bulk operation?

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2013

Hi Kelsey,

Simply click on the trashcan, this will remove the link between the Story and the Epic.

Best regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events