Undoing a CSV Import?

I imported 400+ issues in csv format from our previous bug base. Unfortunately the import started numbering at bug #1, even though there were already 100+ bugs entered into Jira.

No warning that the import would overwrite the existing bugs. :(

Is there any way to get the 100+ bugs back? Can I restore the database from earlier today? Unfortunately I did not do a manual backup myself.

3 answers

0 votes
Mauro Badii Atlassian Team Feb 04, 2014

Hi Bob,

The instance can be restored to a previous state but there is no way to get the bugs back without doing a restore.

If you are on Jira OnDeamand, I would recommend opening a request at support.atlassian.com to investigate on the problem and get your instance restored if you chose to do so.

Cheers,
Mauro

Thanks, I did have a ticket open already, I posted here as well in case there was a simple answer others had run across in the past.

Support was able to do a restore of our database from a backup taken at midnight, so most of what we'd lost has been recovered. They're now investigating why a csv import would act as a 'merge' rather than as an 'append'.

But it's good to know that they're doing regular backups of the data on their end. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Hi Bob,

The CSV and JSON Importers allows to update the exisitng issues if you specify the "Issue Key" mapping. I guess that's what happend in your case. If you drop "Issue Key" mapping and reimport the CSV file, new issues will be created and none of the existing ones should be touched.

We would like to fix the lack of user-warining for updating issues in the next JIM release ( https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JIM-1165).

I'm having a similar issue. My original csv import file does not contain an issue key field. 

If I try to import the same file again, your saying it will just created new issues?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Jira

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,107 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you