Understanding estimations and times in Jira

Jodie_Parsons May 16, 2019

Hi,

I'm quite new to Jira. My developers and I are using Jira for our sprints. 

The screenshot shows two tasks in a sprint- one ticket original estimate is 2 days and one ticket is 2 hours (therefore a total of 2 days and 2 hours ORIGINAL estimation) . I understand that the figure in grey is the original estimate tickets that are in 'new' column. It looks like the figure in blue is the ORIGINAL estimate for tickets that are in process. 

However the ticket in process has already logged 1 day, so the REMAINING estimate is 1 day. 

From a project management point of view, its very common we carry tickets into the next sprint. In this example, I am expecting to see 1day+2hour outstanding/remaining estimate for the two tickets. However, there is no way for me to get this figure. As the blue uses the ORIGINAL instead of REMAINING estimate. Can this be done? 

I am 1 day more that I would be expecting. 

2019-05-16 16_00_06-D2 Board - Agile Board - Jira.png

1 answer

0 votes
Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2019

Hey Jodie,

If you leave your mouse hovering over the numbers, it gives you a little tool tip explaining the number:

• grey - story points not started
  • blue - story points in progress
  • green - story points completed

So it looks like your 2d estimated issue has not been started, but the 2h estimated issue is currently in progress.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2019

slight correction - not story points but time estimates/logged

Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2019

Ah! Slip of the keyboard!  We use story points where I work =)  Thanks for the correction @Jack Brickey .

Suggest an answer